Skjervøy – at the heart of Northern Troms
Alpine mountains and deep fjords provide Skjervøy with a magnificent setting
Skjervøy is an island and municipality in the northern part of Troms County. It is a typical fishing community where seafood production provides the main livelihood. In recent years fish farming and aquaculture has grown increasingly important. The 2,900 citizens live on several islands. There are great conditions for outdoor activities in the area. The oldest wooden church in Nord-Hålogaland diocese, built in 1728, is found in Skjervøy.
Skjervøy is also famous for being the first port of call for the polar vessel ‘Fram’ when it returned to Norway after having been absent for 3 years on Nansen’s expedition to the North Pole in 1896. Everyone had eagerly anticipated news of the fate of ‘Fram’, especially since Nansen and Johansen, who had left ‘Fram’ in the Arctic Sea, had arrived in Vardø a week earlier.
A history of Skjervøy
Ancient Sami settlement sites found here date back to the Stone Age. The municipality of Skjervøe (later spelled Skjervøy) was established on 1 January 1838. The name originates from the Old Norse word Skerføy, The first element is skerf that means "rocky ground" and the last element is øy meaning "island".
Havnegata 18, 9180 Skjervøy