Caribbean Sea – Caribbean Sea Adventure
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Fram
September 25, 2020
Price from: $ 6,176 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Sail from New York City and explore the best of the Caribbean coast
- Enjoy the highlights of seven different countries in one voyage
- Visit tropical island paradises and relax on delightful sandy beaches
- Discover rich local cultures and traditions
Join one of our select itineraries aboard MS Fram, MS Spitsbergen, or MS Midnatsol, and save up to 25% per person—and receive $500 in onboard credit!
This offer is valid October 1 - November 30, 2019. Click here for full offer details.
- Day 1 New York - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Charleston, USA
- Day 5 At sea
- Day 6 Key West, USA
- Day 7 At sea
- Day 8 Cozumel, Mexico
- Day 9 Isla de Útila
- Day 10 At sea
- Day 11 Isla de Providencia, Colombia
- Day 12 San Andrés Island, Colombia
- Day 13 Corn Island, Nicaragua
- Day 14 Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Day 15 Puerto Limón / San José, Costa Rica - Disembarkation & Overnight Stay
- Day 16 San José, Costa Rica
Our expedition voyage starts in energetic, one-of-a-kind New York City in beautiful autumn colors. Spend some time enjoying all that Manhattan has to offer before embarking on MS Fram. Join us on deck as we sail past the Statue of Liberty.
Days at sea are yours to enjoy. The expedition team will start its series of introductory lectures about history, biology and life in the ocean. Enjoy the ship’s onboard facilities and go out on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds guiding our vessel.
Charleston is considered one of Americas greatest historic treasures. With cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and the elegant French Quarter, the city is ideal to explore on foot. Stroll the magnificent Battery promenade and Waterfront Park. Explore the historic sites at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions.
Beach Cleanup (1 - 3 hrs)
Help us keep our oceans clean. The most important daily task of our crews is stopping waste before it reaches the sea. On every landing at every destination, we encourage our guests to help us collect and properly dispose of waste. We also arrange large beach cleanups at carefully selected spots.
Spend time on deck as we head south and feel the air getting warmer and warmer. Enjoy the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our expedition team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
The southernmost island in the Florida Keys and only 90 miles from Cuba. This laid-back town is perfect for a day of exploration. Stroll amidst 19th century architecture in Old Town, visit the Ernest Hemmingway House Museum, or cool off with a drink at famous Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
Old Trolley Tour (1 hr)
See Key West on a one-hour tour aboard the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley. Travel down picturesque streets and get close-up views of what makes Key West special. The tour conductors create a festive air by sharing the island’s history with knowledge and humour.
Our expedition team continues its lecture program, sharing their vast knowledge and experiences and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Visit San Miguel de Cozumel and spend the day ashore in this lively island town enjoying the restaurants, cafes and nearby beaches. Discover the island at your own pace or join one of the offered optional excursions.
Orientation tour to the beach (4 hrs)
Join a narrated tour to the heart of downtown Cozumel to see historic buildings, including the main church and clock tower. Get ample opportunities to take photos and shop for unique souvenirs. We then proceed to a local beach for a relaxing swim or simply stretching out in the sand before returning to the ship.
Known for its coral reefs and dive sites, Útila is the smallest of the Honduras Bay Islands. We go ashore in Útila Town, the island´s only settlement. Relax in town, visit the Iguana Research & Breeding Station to see local species or enjoy some of the nearby beaches.
Enjoy a pleasant day at sea as we make our way further south. The expedition team will recap the voyage so far and prepare you for the next days of tropical island experiences. Spend time on deck and watch for birds and other wildlife following us on our travels.
Providencia is an unspoiled tropical island with traditions that have remained intact. You still hear English Creole spoken here. Enjoy breathtaking scenery, lovely sandy beaches, friendly locals, and a gorgeous sunset before we set sail late in the evening.
Cultural Show (45 mins)
Enjoy a 45-minute performance of music, percussion and dance presented by a 15-member troop of Providencia Island artists. Hear cultural influences from Latin America, Africa and the Antilles, and marvel at the mix of music and dance styles, including la socca, calypso, mento, foxtrot, jumping polka, shoteische and pasillo.
Another day in paradise awaits. Explore some of San Andrés Island’s natural attractions at your leisure or join one of the optional activities of the day.
The Creole inhabitants of Great Corn Island live in colorful wooden houses and earn most of their income from lobster fishing. Enjoy splendid white sand beaches, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or hike up Mount Pleasant Hill for a view of the entire island.
We round up our extensive tropical cruise by calling on Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of cays and thousands of islets. Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the “Galápagos of the Caribbean” because it is one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walk (2 - 4 hrs)
Travel by local tender boats to one of two beaches on either Solarte Island or Bastimentos Island to relax or walk on one of many trails. Solarte Island is a nature reserve without electricity. Watch for leaf-cutter colonies, birds of all types and red frogs. You might also spot three-toed sloths, rare birds and eagles. Red Frog Beach is located on Bastimentos Island, not far from Isla Colon, and you walk to the beach on a jungle trail.
Puerto Limón features fascinating architecture and vibrant open-air marketplaces. The central market is the place to go to buy everything from carved wood items to traditional souvenirs. After disembarkation, we transfer you to San José for your overnight stay. On the way, enjoy a fascinating excursion to Tortuguero Canal.
Today your expedition comes to an end. If you’d like to extend your stay in Costa Rica, we recommend booking one of our post-cruise Land Adventures to visit, for example, beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship in Puerto Limón to hotel in San José, including lunch and an excursion
- One hotel night in San José after the voyage, including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA) - for details please see Entry Requirements
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Length||114 m / 374 ft|
|Beam||20.2 m / 66 ft|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology and making her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in polar regions.
Charleston - Historic Charleston and Boone Hall Plantation
Charleston – Historic Walking Tour
Charleston – Delightful Upper King Street Culinary Tour
Charleston – Fossil Hunting
Key West Mangrove Eco Tour
Key West – Best of Food Walking Tour and Mojito Workshop
Key West – Historic Walking Tour and Hemingway’s House
Cozumel – Ruins & Mayan Traditions
Cozumel - The best of Cozumel
Cozumel - All Terrain Buggy & Snorkel
Cozumel - Tulum Mayan Ruins
Providencia - Adventure to the Peak
Providencia – Snorkeling Tour
Providencia - Island Tour
San Andres - Nautilus Adventure
San Andres - Snorkel Tour Adventure
San Andrés – Islander Cooking Class
San Andrés – Taste of San Andrés
Bocas del Toro - Sustainable Cacao Farm
Bocas del Toro - Cayo Zapatilla
Bocas del Toro - Cacao Farm & Indigenous Community
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.