Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Santiago, the exciting and diverse capital of Chile. There is much to discover here, from Andean glaciers at the city borders to skyscrapers in the center, lovely colonial architecture and the shores of the fast-flowing Mapacho River. Why not extend your expedition by adding an optional Pre-program adventure to the amazing Atacama Desert or Chilean Patagonia?
Estimated time of departure is 8:00 PM
Fly early in the morning to Punta Arenas where the hybrid-powered MS Roald Amundsen awaits, ready for your expedition cruise to Antarctica.
Enjoy cruising the scenic Beagle Channel, surrounded by mountains plunging straight into the icy water. This wild and remote area seems almost undisturbed by humans. Take in the isolated islands, hidden bays and rich wildlife that create one the world´s most beautiful landscapes.
Cape Horn is the southernmost point of South America, and we will do our best to make a landing here. The ship will then cross the famed Drake Passage to Antarctica. On the way, enjoy fascinating lectures from our Expedition Team in the Science Center and take advantage of the Wellness Center and other onboard amenities. You’ll also learn how to make your visit as safe and as sustainable as possible and you’ll join Citizen Science programs to help collect data for current scientific research.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with the huge colonies of penguins.
Our Expedition Team will lead ice-cruising and landings at every opportunity to come ashore and explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, but our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
Wherever we explore, the sights and sounds and of Antarctica are sure to stay with you for a lifetime!
After exploring this unforgettable continent, we set course for the Falkland Islands. Our Expedition Team will brief you about the history and biology of the Islands, point out wildlife from our outer decks and scout for the Albatrosses that often guide our way. Using the state-of-the-art microscopes in the ship’s Science Center, you can analyze samples taken during the expedition cruise to see another kind of ‘wildlife’ at the cellular level.
After the wilderness of Antarctica, enjoy the contrast provided by Stanley, with red phone boxes, red buses and old pubs. The capital is good size for roaming the streets on foot, or you can join an excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked here throughout the day.
The Falklands are teeming with wonders of nature, with fantastically clear blue skies, seamless horizons and stunning white sand beaches.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands, you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for generations. Penguins waddle along the beaches here, often coming close to you to take a look out of curiosity, and even posing for photos! We plan to go ashore to explore the area on hikes and to spot some of the many bird species that live here.
IncludedStanley - Community WalkTake this self-timed walk through the highlights of Stanley's Capital.
Stanley - Falklands Nature TrekFor the nature enthusiast, this trek is an exclusive opportunity to view Falkland Islands wildlife and flora.
Stanley - Bluff Cove Lagoon TourEnjoy a private wildlife haven on this exclusive tour to view king, gentoo and magellanic penguins as well as multitudes of sea birds, ending with tea in a café on the beach.
Stanley - Scenic Air TourSee the Falkland Islands from another perspective. There is no better way to see these remote South Atlantic islands than by air.
Stanley - Port Stanley HighlightsIf you want to see the highlights of Stanley in a short amount of time, then this is the ideal tour for you! Join this guided coach tour, taking you to interesting sites while you learn about the history of the Falkland Islands.
As we complete the loop of the Magellan Strait, we will have a recap of everything we have experienced on this expedition cruise in the Science Center. Make sure you spend some time on deck looking for wildlife.
Estimated time of arrival is 7:00 AM
We arrive back in Punta Arenas in the morning. After the flight back to Santiago de Chile, you can extend your vacation with a post-voyage programme to Easter Island, famous for its mysterious statues of giant heads and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Included in Your Expedition
- Overnight in Santiago de Chile before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Flights in economy class between Santiago de Chile and Punta Arenas
- Transfer from the hotel in Santiago de Chile to Santiago de Chile airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfers between Punta Arenas airport and the ship, including one orientation tour and lunchbox
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna with floor-to-ceiling window, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Medical questionnaire is mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Stanley - Community Walk
Stanley - Falklands Nature Trek
Stanley - Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour
Stanley - Scenic air tour
Stanley - Port Stanley Highlights tour
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Chilean Patagonia (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-Excursion: Santiago Walking Tour (20/21, 21/22)
Pre-Cruise Land Adventure: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour (20/21, 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile (20/21, 21/22)
Santiago Post-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour (20/21, 21/22)
Santiago - Chilean Folk Show & Dinner (21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Post-programme Easter Island (20/21 ,21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Atacama Desert (20/21 and 21/22)
Before you travel with MS Roald Amundsen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- Packing Tips for Expedition Cruises
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Safer together
- Entry Requirements for Your Travel