Antarctica – Highlights of the Frozen Continent (Itinerary 2)
Duration: 17 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
February 15, 2021
March 2, 2021
Price from: $ 11,529 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Enjoy 10 full days of adventure in Antarctica
- Be one of the few who venture as far south as the Antarctic Circle
- Seize the chance to see incredible wildlife: penguins, whales, seals, albatross and many more
- Explore with ice-cruising, landings and more led by our expedition team
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover “Paris of South America” on a warm summer day, or extend your stay with an optional pre- and/or post cruise Land Adventure to explore Wild Patagonia.
Our expedition team will prepare you for your intense polar exploration with fascinating lectures and presentations in the Science Center. On our way to Antarctica, we cross the Antarctic Convergence, where two oceans meet, creating nutrient-rich seas that attract marine and avian life. Keep a sharp eye out for wildlife from on deck.
Welcome to the most remote place on Earth! Our expedition team will lead you on ice-cruisings and landings to come ashore to explore breathtaking Antarctic scenery and come closer to penguins, seals and ice.
Antarctica inspires awe. Ninety percent of the world´s ice is here, more than 13,000 ft thick in some places. In winter, sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, it is a fertile breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
This 10 day exploration cruise ensures an unforgettable Antarctica experience with lots of landings and activities.
This is true wilderness, and our experienced captain works with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We will land as often as possible, on the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula, and sail through the world-famous Lemaire Channel before venturing further south to Marguerite Bay to hopefully cross the legendary Antarctic Circle.
Every moment in Antarctica is full of rich experiences. There are icebergs of every shape and color, magnificent glaciers, vast horizons and astonishing encounters with fearless Antarctic wildlife.
An expedition cruise here is an amazing experience that is hard to sum up in a few short words. A well-known quote from a veteran Antarctic traveler coins it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set course back to civilization. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun and learning in the Science Center or enjoying the many onboard amenities.
Our adventure ends as we arrive in Ushuaia, and we transfer you to the airport for your flight to Buenos Aires. From there, you can extend your trip by joining one of our optional post-cruise Land Adventures.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Coach-class flights between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia including one orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and landings with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry Requirements for your travel.
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Before you travel with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- Packing Tips for Explorer Voyages to Polar Regions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry Requirements for Your Travel