This adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover `Paris of South America´ for yourself on a warm spring or summer day or extend your stay with an optional Pre-Programme to explore wild Patagonia.
Fly early in the morning to Ushuaia, where MS Fridtjof Nansen awaits. Once on board, we kick off our journey with a welcome dinner.
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross the famed Drake Passage. During the voyage south, the Expedition Team starts the lecture programme, giving you information about Antarctica’s fascinating history and environmental science. You’ll also learn how to make your visit as safe and as sustainable as possible and you’ll join Citizen Science programs to help collect data for current scientific research. This is also a good opportunity to enjoy all the amenities of your advanced hybrid powered expedition ship.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with the huge colonies of penguins.
Our Expedition Team will lead ice-cruising and landings at every opportunity to come ashore and explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, but our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
Wherever we explore, the sights and sounds and of Antarctica are sure to stay with you for a lifetime!
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set course back to civilisation. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science Center or just relaxing on deck, spotting the many sea birds which follow our ship.
Our expedition cruise ends as we reach Ushuaia, and we transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. For more adventure, you can extend your stay in Buenos Aires or join an optional Post-Program to the magnificent Iguazu waterfalls.
Included in Your Expedition
- Overnight in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Return flights in economy class between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Transfer from the hotel in Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfers between Ushuaia airport and the ship, including a brief tour of the town
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna with floor-to-ceiling window, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Medical questionnaire is mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21, 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show (20/21, 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour (20/21, 21/22)
Buenos Aires – Estancia Santa Susana (20/21, 21/22)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires (20/21, 21/22)
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21, 21/22)
Before you travel with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- Packing Tips for Expedition Cruises
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry Requirements for Your Travel