Greenland – The Heart of Greenland with Disko Bay
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
July 8, 2020
July 23, 2020
August 7, 2020
August 22, 2020
Price from: $ 8,092 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Combine the exploration of pristine Greenland nature with fascinating Inuit
- Begin and end your journey in Iceland - a great opportunity to explore further
- Discover Greenland’s immaculate beauty under the Midnight Sun
- Sail into lovely Disko Bay
The World Is Waiting Savings
Join one of our select itineraries in Greenland and enjoy incredible savings per person! This offer is available on the following departures:
- Save up to 30% on:
- August 7, 2020
- Save up to 20% on:
- August 22, 2020
- Save up to 10% on:
- July 8, 2020
- July 23, 2020
This offer is valid December 11, 2019 – February 28, 2020. Click here for full offer details.
- Day 1 Reykjavik, Iceland - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Qaqortoq
- Day 5 Kvanefjord area
- Day 6 Maniitsoq
- Day 7 Sisimiut
- Day 8 Ilulissat
- Day 9 Camp Frieda
- Day 10 Evighed Fjord (Eternal Fjord)
- Day 11 Nuuk
- Day 12 Ivittuut
- Day 13 Prins Christian Sund Region
- Day 14-15 Irminger Sea - Denmark Strait
- Day 16 Reykjavik, Iceland - Disembarkation
Reykjavik is the world’s northernmost capital city. Norse settlers named the place Reykjavik (meaning “Smoky Bay”) after the columns of steam rising from hot springs in the area. The region offers fantastic natural beauty with geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths, well worth exploring before embarking on MS Fridtjof Nansen.
We leave Iceland behind and sail across the Irminger Sea. This crossing was used by the Vikings to migrate from Iceland to Greenland some 1,000 years ago. Enjoy introductory lectures on local history and biology, and get to know our innovative expedition ship.
Many consider Qaqortoq one of the most beautiful towns in Greenland for its colorful houses and lovely setting. The biggest town in southern Greenland, with 3,000 inhabitants, Qaqortoq is easy to explore on foot, or you can join one of our excursions to get even more insight into local culture.
Great Lake Walk (2 hrs)
Qaqortoq rises quite steeply over the surrounding fjord system and is best discovered on foot, which says something about its small size. Our hike leads you outside the town to see its water supply, the great lake known as Tasersuaq. Walking along its shoreline provides stunning views and creates awe for nature’s majesty.
IncludedQaqortoq - Great Lake WalkQaqortoq rises quite steeply over the surrounding fjord system and is best discovered on foot, which says something about its small size
KaffeemikTake part in a traditional Greenlandic kaffemik, where a local family serves a large selection of specialty food dishes. And of course, a pot of coffee. This is an authentic experience, which lets you learn more about living like a Greenlander.
Great Greenland TanneryVisit Great Greenland, the only tannery in Greenland, and see how hides and furs are processed. You will also learn about the old hunting traditions, which are an important part of Greenlandic culture.
We discover the beautiful region of Kvanefjord near Paamiut by sailing deep into the fjord. Our experienced captain will take advantage of the conditions to identify landing sites for onshore walks, places to launch our kayaks, ideal communities to visit, and the best spots to spot wildlife.
Founded in 1755, Maniitsoq means “The uneven place,” referring to the rocky hills and mountains shaping the town’s layout. It is also known as the “Venice of Greenland” because it lies in an archipelago, intersected by natural canals.
The local museum introduces you to the town´s rich history and culture.
Sisimiut lies 25 miles north of the Arctic Circle. Its name means “the people living in a place where there are fox dens.” Greenland’s second largest town is a modern, picturesque settlement that maintains ancient traditions. We offer you a variety of exciting excursions to discover Sisimiut’s many attractions.
Kayak Demo and Museum visit (1 - 2 hrs)
Enjoy a traditional kayaking demonstration and the Sisimit museum. The Inuit invented the ‘qajaq’ in Greenland. Experience the Greenlander kayak roll first hand. Sisimut museum features local cultural history and exhibits different periods of the city’s history and its surroundings.
IncludedSisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visitSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
City tour by busIf you want to comfortably experience all of Sisimiut in a short amount of time, this sightseeing tour by bus is the perfect excursion for you.
Hike to Palasip QaqqaaJoin a challenging summit hike and be rewarded with an amazing panoramic view!
Ilulissat is set in the stunning scenery of Ilulissat Icefjord World Heritage site. At the fjord’s mouth, you can see enormous icebergs that have run aground. These masses of ice originate from Jakobshavn Glacier, one of the fastest moving glaciers in the world. Join one of our many excursions here.
Walk to the Icefjords (2 hrs)
Hear the ice cracking in the distance? Take a closer look at the beautiful icebergs of Ilulissat Icefjord. Getting a close-up view of these frozen giants will slow your world down and leave you humbled. Join us on a walk to enjoy this UNESCO World Heritage site.
IncludedIlulissat - Walk to the IcefjordsHear the ice cracking in the distance?
Boat trip to the ice fjordIlulissat is renowned for its breathtakingly beautiful ice fjord - best experienced by boat. Get close to nature and experience the ice that leaves visitors speechless in wonder.
City walk IlulissatLearn more about Greenlandic culture and history on this walk.
Hike to Holms BakkeHike through spectacular surroundings as we take you to Holms Bakke – a traditional hiking trip for locals. Experience Inuit culture, see incredible icebergs and learn about local flora and fauna.
We visit a location near Saqqaq that was without an official name until 2013. The place is special to us, as it is named after a former expedition team member. We land on the beach to explore this northernmost destination of our cruise, amidst breathtaking scenery and Arctic flora.
Today´s exploration will take us to meandering Evighed Fjord, surrounded by tall mountains (up to 6,600 ft high). The day’s weather and ice conditions will determine the final program and the range of activities we offer.
Nuuk lies at the mouth of one of the most spectacular fjord systems in the world. Greenland’s capital city is where old and new meet, from historic buildings in “Kolonihavnen” to the modern “Center for Greenland Self Rule.” There’s also the National Museum - home to the famous Qilakitsoq mummies.
Shuttle & Museum visit (1 - 2 hrs)
Visit the National Museum of Greenland. Discover exhibitions covering Greenland's history during the past 4,500 years - from the first Arctic Stone Age cultures to the Norse settlements, the arrival of the Thule culture and the gradual transition to modern day Greenland.
IncludedNuuk - Shuttle & Museum visitVisit the National Museum of Greenland
Cultural History WalkDon’t miss this opportunity to explore Greenland´s capital city of Nuuk! Join a sightseeing tour of the town before you visit the National Museum, providing a glimpse into Greenland’s interesting past.
Lille Malene HikePut on your hiking boots and join the expedition team on a hiking adventure through beautiful Greenlandic nature!
Nuuk City TourExplore Greenland´s fascinating capital city by bus! Nuuk is a cosmopolitan town in the high Arctic, offering both beautiful nature and an urban vibe.
The abandoned town of Ivittuut is a stronghold for musk oxen. More than 1,000 years ago, Vikings settled the area, but left no written records behind. Archaeologists believe this was the last Norse settlement in Greenland to be established, and the first to be abandoned.
Prince Christian Sound separates mainland Greenland from Sammisoq and the Cape Farewell Archipelago. If conditions allow, we will sail through this narrow channel and admire the spectacular scenery here. If the channel is blocked with ice, we will sail around Nunap Isua (Cape Farewell).
After exploring exhilarating Greenland, we set ou course back to Iceland. Spend the days at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science Center or just relaxing on deck, watching sea birds follow our ship or maybe even spotting whales.
You arrive in the Icelandic capital early in the morning. If you want to explore more of the city and country, add one of our exciting pre- or post-cruise Land Adventures to your trip.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBAORD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and saunas with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Qaqortoq - Great Lake Walk
Great Greenland Tannery
Sisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visit
See Sisimiut by Bus
Hike to Palasip Qaqqaa
Ilulissat - Walk to the Icefjords
Boat Trip to the Icefjord
Ilulissat City Walk
Hike to Holms Bakke
Nuuk - Shuttle & Museum visit
Cultural History Walk
Lille Malene Hike
Nuuk City Tour
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
Reykjavik Pre-program: Golden Circle Tour (20/21)
The Icelandic Highlands: Pre-Program for Nature Lovers
Post-cruise Land Adventure Reykjavik
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet Our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Program: Bring your kids on board