Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean Fjords – Discovery of Antarctica, Patagonia and Chilean Fjords
Duration: 18 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
October 19, 2020
Price from: $ 11,192 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Experience Patagonia and Antarctica in one expedition cruise
- Discover the magnificent Chilean fjords
- See Cape Horn and cross the Drake Passage
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and wildlife encounters in Antarctica
This expedition cruise starts in colorful Valparaíso. One of the best ways of seeing the city is by riding its funiculars for sweeping views. We also recommend extending your adventure by exploring the amazing Atacama Desert through our optional pre-cruise Land Adventure before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast of Chile, the expedition team will start the lecture program to prepare you for the experiences ahead. Make sure to spend some time on deck to watch for wildlife.
Set among windswept hills and lush green vegetation, Castro is known for its colorful “palafitos,” wooden houses mounted on stilts along the water's edge, as well as the UNESCO World Heritage site, Iglesia San Francisco.
We sail south through the fabled waters of Patagonia and to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places: the province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. We voyage through iconic Andean seascapes for views of a glorious expanses of undisturbed nature.
The village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. It is known for its geographical isolation, situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar people.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to Torres del Paine National Park, world famous for the impressive “Torres del Paine” rock formation. Explore the park on our optional excursion to discover a landscape of stunning variety. Watch for llamas, pumas, and foxes in addition to many species of birds, like the Andean condor.
Deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into icy waters characterize this wild area that almost seems untouched by humans. Glacial ice has scoured its way between the mountains, creating the lovely isolated islands and hidden bays that form this unique fjord landscape.
In the morning we will sail through scenic Beagle Channel before continuing into open waters, and if conditions allow, we will make an attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America.
Antarctica never ceases to amaze and astound. Ninety percent of the world´s ice is here, and the continent virtually doubles in size due to sea ice in the winter. In summer, it is a cradle of life, a vital breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism that has evolved through millenniums without human interference. Therefore, we adhere to very strict environmental guidelines. We want to leave nothing but our footprints and take nothing but pictures!
The elements rule in Antarctica, and our experienced captain will create the best itinerary possible for your adventure. We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and show you the diversity of the region´s wildlife and landscape.
Our expert expedition team will take you on ice-cruising outings and exciting landing activities. There may also be the chance to kayak in the company of whales and icebergs, hike in amazing scenery and perhaps camp on the world´s most isolated continent.
It´s hard to put this wild beauty into words. As a well-known quote from a veteran Antarctic traveler puts it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
MS Roald Amundsen takes us safely back across Drake Passage as we continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Punta Arenas, on the edge of the Strait of Magellan, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with a flight to Santiago de Chile, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional post-cruise Land Adventures.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer ship to airport in Punta Arenas
- Coach-class flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago de Chile
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see, while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry Requirements for your travel.
MS Roald Amundsen
In 2019, Hurtigruten will add a brand-new ship to its fleet: MS Roald Amundsen. This state-of-the-art vessel will feature new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology, that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information for Expedition Cruises On Board MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing Sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers Program