Entry requirements for your trip

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary.

Passport and visa requirements

A passport is the only valid form of identification. For some destinations, your passport must be valid for more than six months after you return to your home country. Upon check-in at the ship, passports will be collected to clear immigration and customs. They will be kept throughout the whole cruise. Please note that we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight or entry into a country, or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved, or if you have not obtained the required documentation. It is the responsibility of each guest to ensure they comply with all visa travel document requirements at the time of travel.

Ship Manifest Information Form

A Ship Manifest Information Form is needed for all Expedition Cruises. This includes all sailings on: MS Fram, MS Roald Amundsen, MS Fridtjof Nansen, MS Spitsbergen, MS Maud, MS Trollfjord, and MS Otto Sverdrup.

Please complete this form using CAPITAL letters and return it to Hurtigruten Expeditions after confirming your booking. This form must be received by Hurtigruten Expeditions at least eight weeks prior to your cruise departure. Please note that we are unable to send your travel documents until we have received this completed form and we will deny boarding to anyone who does not complete it..

Complete the Ship Manifest Information Form by clicking the link below and downloading it to your device. Then you can simply send the form to us by using the email address located at the bottom of the form.


Medical Screening Form

When traveling to some of our more remote destinations, we have a duty of care to our guests and crew. Part of this care is to ensure you are declared fit and able to visit these destinations which are Antarctica, the Northwest Passage, Northeast Greenland, and ocean crossings.

Hurtigruten is obliged to medically screen you in advance of these sailings. We use a partner who specializes in this type of service called Vikand, who are a leading expert in global medical solutions for the maritime industry. To start this process, you will need to download the form provided in the link below and upload it to the Vikand portal.

The link to the portal is on the form itself. This form will need to be signed by you and your doctor and can be signed digitally (doctor’s e-mail address needs to be input before signing the form on your side). The form also requires secondary authentication where you will need a mobile phone to receive a verification code to complete the digital signature.

If your doctor does not wish to use the digital tool, you can select the “Analog Signature” option before signing the form. The form will then be emailed to you so it can be printed out and you can take it to your doctor to be signed.

Please note that the form needs to be uploaded to Vikand’s portal between 4-8 weeks before your departure. We are unable to send you your travel documents until we have received the completed forms.

Last edited: 9/21/2021 2:36 PM

What we do on board to sail safer together

Vaccinations and viruses

Other routine vaccines that may be required, but check with your doctor to see which you may need. We recommend that you seek medical advice about two, which are listed below.

Yellow Fever

Certain parts of South and Central America, along with our West African destinations, are in what is classified as ‘Yellow Fever endemic zones’. This means that all travelers planning to travel to these destinations over the age of nine months must receive the Yellow Fever vaccine.

The certificate for the Yellow Fever vaccine is only valid from 10 days after you have received the vaccination. If you have not had the vaccine in time, you may be denied entry to these areas or instructed to quarantine for up to six days. If such a situation occurs, Hurtigruten cannot accept any liability.

If you need a vaccination certificate for the country you are visiting but are unable to receive the vaccine for medical reasons, contact a Yellow Fever vaccination center or your doctor. They may provide you with an exception certificate, which may be accepted by officials in countries that usually require a vaccination certificate.

Zika virus

Like Yellow Fever, Zika also exists in the Americas and Africa, so we advise consulting with your doctor to understand its risks, especially if you are trying to get pregnant or are currently pregnant.

Please see these useful links with more information: http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx and https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/

Other routine vaccines may be required, so check with your doctor to see which you may need.


More information about entry requirements to Argentina can be found on the Argentinean embassy website.

Only the information given by the consulate of the country you are planning to visit is up-to-date, official and correct.


Unless you are a visa-exempt national, you will need a visa to travel to Chile. The Chilean government has made the process of obtaining a Chile visa easy and smooth, allowing you to apply online from your home at www.tramites.minrel.gov.cl.

If you are not a visa-exempt national, you must apply for your visa at least 30 days before you intend to travel. If you miss this deadline, the Chilean government will not process your application.

Visa-exempt travelers will be provided with a tourist card upon arrival to Chile, which will be in the form of a receipt with a bar-code. You must always keep this card with you. You will be asked to return it when you leave the country. If you lose your card for any reason, you must contact the local International Police (Policía Internacional) as soon as possible.

Citizens from the following areas are exempt from needing a visa.

  • South America
  • The European Union and United Kingdom
  • United States and Canada
  • Australia and New Zealand
  • All Countries that maintain diplomatic relations with Chile

Please note your passport must be valid for six months after the end of your visit and have at least two blank pages in the passport.

Please be aware that Chile has strict protocols on items allowed in to the country. We recommend that you visit www.gob.cl to check what is allowed in case you have any concerns. If you are stopped with any illegal products, they will be confiscated and you will be fined.

You will be asked to complete a declaration form before you arrive in Chile, which is usually provided to you on your flight. You can also download the form here.


Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa. However, when arriving by ship it is not be necessary for certain nationalities to obtain an eTA. The following link provides you with additional information regarding the eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp

Please check the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp for more information, including on how to apply for an eTA. The fee is about 7 Canadian Dollars and the eTa must be granted before flying to Canada. Please note that we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight, the ship, or entry into Canada, or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved, or if you have not obtained the required eTA, visa, or other documentation.


To travel to the Galapagos, you will first need to enter Ecuador, where you will receive an Ecuadorian Tourist Visa. Stamp in your passport. You cannot visit the Islands without this stamp.

Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your date of entry into Ecuador. If not, you will be declined entry into the country.

Health insurance and travel protection is mandatory to visit the islands.


Peru is an easy country to enter. You only need a copy of your passport, with the only stipulation being that your passport be valid for six months from your date of entry into Peru.


A Russian visa is required for nationals of most countries. Russia has, however, established a visa-free regime with several European, Asian, and South American countries. To check whether the visa-free regime is applicable in your case, we recommend contacting the closest Russian consulate. You can find your closest consulate by accessing this link: https://www.russianembassy.net

To obtain a Russian visa, you first must obtain an invitation (Visa Support) issued by an authorized organization. We work with a partner and will assist you in this matter. Once this invitation is processed and received, you will then be able to apply for your visa via your local consulate.

To apply for an invitation letter, you will need to provide us with:

  • A scanned copy of the photo page of your passport.
  • The passport must be valid for six months after your trip has ended.

Once these are received, they are sent to our partner, who will create the invitation for you to enter Russia. Once you receive the invitation, you will be able to apply for your visa via the consulate. To do this, you need the following:

  • Invitation letter
  • Completed application form, which you can fill out online. It will require the following information:
  • Travel itinerary (Russia requires your full journey details)
  • National identification number
  • You will find the other information they require during the application process.
  • Passport-sized photograph.
  • Credit card

Once you have completed the form, you will then be required to attend an interview, after which you will be issued a visa to travel. This is called the single entry visa. This is the most common type of visa needed to enter Russian territory.

Be aware that when travelling to Russia, you must have at least two completely blank and unused pages in your passport—one for the stamp when entering Russia and another when leaving.

Once you have received your visa, you must send us a copy of the visa no later than 20 days before you travel.

If you have any concerns and/or questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will support you in your applications.

United States

Foreign travelers to the United States for short visits, including tourism, vacation, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment, need visitor visas, unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/). For more information, see the U.S. State Department website (www.travel.state.gov/). Please be aware that U.S. entry requirements keep evolving as national security regulations change. All travelers should double-check current visa and passport regulations before traveling to the United States.

West Africa & Cape Verde

You’ll visit several destinations while traveling to the West African Archipelagos. Your flight will land in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, but you do not need a visa to enter the country. You will need a visa, however, to enter the territories of Gambia and Guinea-Bissau.

You’ll be issued your visa for these territories when you enter their territorial waters during your journey on the ship.