RIB Safari to Saltstraumen
The giant maelstroms of Saltstraumen have captured the imagination of artists and authors for generations. Join a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) safari to witness these wondrous forces of nature.
Jules Verne wrote about Saltstraumen in his famous novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Edgar Allen Poe penned a whole story about the whirlpools in A Descent into the Maelstrom, and Herman Melville described Saltstraumen through his character Captain Ahab in Moby Dick. No wonder: Saltstraumen is the world’s most powerful tidal current. Four times a day, some 13 billion cubic feet of water are forced in and out through a passage only 490 ft wide and 100 ft deep. The conditions cause such an intense churning and downward pull that it can be dangerous to sail through Saltstraumen outside of specific windows of time.
On this tour, we sit safely and comfortably in sturdy RIBs (rigid inflatable boats) with high-powered outboard motors operated by highly experienced and knowledgeable pilots. There is also a good chance to observe sea eagles during the trip. You can also see parts of the Caledonian fold belt, one of the world's oldest mountain ranges, dating back more than 250 million years. This is a day packed full of exciting natural adventures.
- Disembarking port: Bodø
- Embarking port: Bodø
- Direction: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Available from: April 1 – November 3
- Duration: 2 hours
- Level: 3
- Transportation: RIB (rigid inflatable boat)
- Clothes/Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes, and warm and wind-proof clothing; special clothing is provided
- The strength of the current depends on the tide
- Not suitable for guests with back problems
- Age limit: 6 years old together with parent (must be one adult per child)
*The strength of the Saltstraumen current is dependent on the tide