Antarctica, Patagonia, Falklands – Exploration of Antarctica, Patagonia and the Falklands - Northbound
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
March 17, 2021
Price from: $ 11,598 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Experience Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands on one expedition cruise
- See amazing wildlife: penguins, seals, whales, albatrosses and more
- Go on landings and ice-cruising outings in Antarctica
- Join in a wide-ranging science and activity program led by our expert expedition team
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover the “Paris of South America,” or extend your stay with an optional pre- and/or post-cruise Land Adventure to explore Wild Patagonia.
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross famed Drake Passage. Learn about the fascinating history and environmental science of Antarctica from our expedition team in the Science Center. This is also a great time to enjoy all the amenities of our advanced hybrid-powered expedition ship.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons looming above seas full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with huge colonies of penguins.
At every opportunity, our expedition team will lead ice-cruisings and landings that go ashore and explore Antarctica’s astoundingly beautiful scenery. From on deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, and our experienced captain works with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and Antarctic Peninsula to bring you into the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife of this pristine wilderness.
Wherever we explore, the sights and sounds of Antarctica are sure to stay with you for a lifetime!
The expedition team will continue the lecture program, covering history and the great explorers, marine biology, wildlife, oceanography and climate change. Spend some time on deck and watch for wildlife as we make our way north to the Falklands. We are usually followed by different sea bird species, such as albatrosses.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for several generations.
We may call on New Island, which boasts white sandy beaches and turquoise waters that could easily be mistaken for those on a Caribbean isle.
Carcass Island is another possible stop, an aviary paradise with ducks, geese, penguins, albatrosses, caracaras and wrens. We hope to go ashore for exploring, hiking or taking a closer look at the wildlife.
Stanley, the capital of the Falklands, is inviting and an ideal size for roaming the streets on foot. Or, you can join an optional excursion to explore wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked in Stanley throughout the day.
Days at sea are full of activity. Our expedition team presents fascinating talks and lectures in the Science Center, and MS Fridtjof Nansen features a wellness area, swimming pool and hot tubs.
The Valdez Peninsula is a stunning nature reserve that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. Situated on Argentina's Patagonian coast, the peninsula is home to dramatic natural habitats. Enjoy our wide variety of optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the Gaucho-lifestyle of Patagonia.
After exhilarating days in Patagonia, Antarctica and the Falklands, the final days of the voyage are spent sailing north while air and sea temperatures rise. Relax with your fellow explorers on the outer decks, restaurants and lounges, and enjoy a farewell dinner on the last evening.
Montevideo boasts colorful cultural diversity, with a picturesque blend of colonial Spanish, Italian and Art Deco architectural styles. After disembarking MS Fridtjof Nansen, you can visit the Ciudad Vieja (Old Town), the vibrant Mercado del Puerto, museums, art galleries, and the white, sandy beaches surrounding the city.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Coach-class flight Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfer airport to ship in Ushuaia including an orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and landings with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGINE ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- +All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability depends on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry Requirements for your travel.
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing Sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers Program