9 reasons to travel to Antarctica
Never mind the bragging rights - here are nine reasons you should hop on an Antarctic cruise and head toward the South Pole.
Ever since we set out on our first expedition to Svalbard in 1896, we’ve believed that exploring and learning about our beautiful planet should go hand-in-hand. That’s why our fleet of modern expedition ships is designed to travel to even the most challenging of destinations while providing a comfortable and stylish setting to absorb the wonders of nature. Hurtigruten Expeditions cruises feature a group of hand-picked experts who make up the Expedition Team, and they’ll deliver fascinating talks and lead guests on shore landings, kayaking excursions, expedition boat adventures and much more. We believe science is key to understanding the world, and that’s why some of our team members are scientists. If our guests want to learn more, our teams are available to help them use the onboard scientific equipment and guide them on Citizen Science projects which help ongoing global research. What’s more, our commitment to sustainable travel and our mission to help protect the places we visit means our guests help pioneer a greener way of cruising. With diverse and unique expedition cruises to 15 global destinations, and stopping at over 230 ports and landing sites from major cities to isolated islands, we help people to unleash their inner explorer. We advise those who travel on an expedition cruise with us to expect the unexpected and to be prepared for life- changing experiences!
1. 230 ports and landing sites Encompassing 15 global destinations, our expedition cruises probe the furthest reaches of the planet, from Antarctica to the Arctic, Galapagos to Guinea Bissau, as well as the legendary Northwest Passage.
2. Expect the unexpected An expedition cruise is an experience like no other. In true explorer style we work with nature, adjusting our plans to seek out exciting opportunities and setting a course for adventure.
3. Unique experiences Whether it’s setting foot on Antarctica, kayaking at the foot of an Alaskan glacier, or visiting a tribal community in Africa’s little-visited Bissagos Islands – authentic, unforgettable experiences await everyone who travels with us.
4. Expedition Teams Handpicked experts from a range of fields will deliver lectures, guide onshore visits, and take guests kayaking and expedition boat cruising while fostering their sense of wonder in the places we visit.
5. Science focus With our onboard scientists and the most extensive science programme in the industry, we bring nature right into the heart of our ships where people can learn more about our destinations and contribute to important research.
6. Modern expedition ships Engineered for exploration and small enough to dock at local ports and get intimate with nature – all our ships feature stylish cabins designed for comfort and relaxation.
7. Green pioneers From our state-of-the-art hybrid electric ships, our ban on single use plastic and our focus on environmental protection, our desire to drive change for good sits at the heart of our ethos.
8. Delicious food Regionally inspired and locally sourced, all food is cooked by master chefs and served in our stylish onboard restaurants, with dishes featuring a diversity of exquisite seafood, meat and plant-based options.
9. Inclusive value All our expedition cruises feature included extras such as complimentary beer and wine at meals, free Wi-Fi and an activity in every port of call – and there are no extra taxes or gratuities to pay.
10. Working with local communities Whether it’s an Inuit settlement in Arctic Canada or a village in tropical Cape Verde, supporting and trading with the local communities we visit is how we’ve always done business.
11. Full immersion experience Expedition boats for beach landings, kayaks for water level exploration, snowshoes and survival gear ... when exploring with us, people get up close and personal with the environment in each destination.
12. Friendly and informal There’s no dress code on board. Our guests can simply relax and enjoy the warm and professional service we’ve been delivering for almost 130 years.
Wildlife in Antarctica
Wildlife on ice Antarctica is the only continent with no significant plant life and no native land mammals, reptiles, or amphibians. Even in the extreme environment of Antarctica, life not only survives but thrives. Its icy seas, isolated icebergs and snow-driven deserts are home to wildlife that surprise and charm all who visit them.