Caribbean Sea – Caribbean Sea Adventure
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
September 20, 2020
Price from: $ 4,668 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Sail from New York City and explore the highlights of the Caribbean
- Enjoy an extensive cruise covering a fantastic range of experiences in seven countries
- Visit tropical island paradises and lovely sandy beaches
- Discover rich cultures and abundant wildlife
- Day 1 New York - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Charleston, USA
- Day 5 At sea
- Day 6 Key West, USA
- Day 7 At sea
- Day 8 Cozumel, Mexico
- Day 9 Isla de Útila
- Day 10 At sea
- Day 11 Isla de Providencia, Colombia
- Day 12 San Andrés Island, Colombia
- Day 13 Corn Island, Nicaragua
- Day 14 Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Day 15: Puerto Limón / San José, Costa Rica - Disembarkation & Overnight stay
- Day 16 San José, Costa Rica
Our expedition cruise starts in energetic, one-of-a-kind New York City amidst beautiful autumn color splendor. Spend some time enjoying everything Manhattan has to offer before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen. Join us on deck as we sail out of New York Harbor, past the Statue of Liberty.
Days at sea are yours to enjoy. The expedition team will start its series of introductory lectures about history, biology and life in the ocean. Enjoy the ship’s onboard facilities and go out on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds guiding our vessel.
Charleston is considered one of Americas greatest historic treasures. With cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and an elegant French Quarter, the city is ideal to explore on foot. Stroll the magnificent Battery promenade and Waterfront Park. Explore the city’s historic sites at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions.
Beach Cleanup (1 - 3 hrs)
Help us keep our oceans clean. The most important daily task of our crews is stopping waste before it reaches the sea. On every landing at every destination, we encourage our guests to help us collect and properly dispose of waste. We also arrange large beach cleanups at carefully selected spots.
IncludedCharleston - Beach CleanupHelp us keep our oceans clean
Historic Charleston and Boone Hall PlantationVisit Boone Hall Plantation and tour Charleston's beautiful old historic district.
Charleston – Historic Walking TourExperience the history of Charleston during this two-hour walking tour that takes you deep into the heart of Charleston.
Charleston – Delightful Upper King Street Culinary TourThis excursion provides insight into Charleston's historic Upper King Street neighbourhood, recently named one of the top 10 food neighbourhoods in America.
Charleston – Fossil HuntingLook for and find fossils while exploring Morris Island in search of the prehistoric past.
Spend time on deck as we head south and feel the air getting warmer and warmer. Enjoy the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our expedition team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
The southernmost island in the Florida Keys and only 90 miles from Cuba, laid-back Key West is perfect for a day of exploration. Stroll amidst 19th century architecture in Old Town, visit the Ernest Hemmingway House Museum, or just chill with a drink at the famous Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
Old Trolley Tour (1 hr)
See Key West on a one-hour tour aboard the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley. Travel down picturesque streets and get close-up views of what makes Key West special. The tour conductors create a festive air by sharing the island’s history with knowledge and humour.
IncludedKey West - Old Trolley TourSee Key West on a one-hour tour aboard the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley
Key West Mangrove Eco TourEscape the ordinary - only 15 minutes from busy downtown Key West. Visit the pristine paradise of Geiger Key.
Key West – Best of Food Walking Tour and Mojito WorkshopEnjoy the ‘best of’ Key West during this foodie walking tour.
Key West – Historic Walking Tour and Hemingway’s HouseWelcome to Key West. Stroll along lively Duval Street with a guide and experience local energy as you make your way to the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum.
Our expedition team continues its lecture program, sharing their vast knowledge and experience and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
We visit San Miguel de Cozumel. Spend the day ashore in this lively island town, enjoying the restaurants, cafes and nearby beaches. Discover the island at your leisure or join one of the offered optional excursions.
Orientation tour to the beach (4 hrs)
Join a narrated tour to the heart of downtown Cozumel to see historic buildings, including the main church and clock tower. Get ample opportunities to take photos and shop for unique souvenirs. We then proceed to a local beach for a relaxing swim or simply stretching out in the sand before returning to the ship.
IncludedCozumel - Orientation tour to the beachJoin a narrated tour to the heart of downtown Cozumel to see historic buildings, including the main church and clock tower
Cozumel – Ruins & Mayan TraditionsEmbark on a new adventure and discover connections between past and present on picturesque Cozumel Island. Explore the Mayan ruins and enjoy visiting the Mayan Bee Sanctuary.
The best of CozumelGet a glimpse into Maya life on this excursion to the Mayan ruins of San Gervasio. We also visit Cozumel’s oldest settlement, enjoy a scenic drive around the island and taste chocolate at a chocolate factory.
All Terrain Buggy & SnorkelExplore Cozumel´s shoreline onboard your All-Terrain Vehicle and enjoy the incredible views of the Cozumel´s underwater world on a snorkel tour.
Known for its coral reefs and dive sites, Útila is the smallest of the Honduras Bay Islands. We go ashore in Útila Town, the island´s only settlement. Spend the afternoon enjoying the relaxed pace, visit the Iguana Research & Breeding Station or take in the beautiful beaches.
Enjoy a pleasant day at sea as we make our way further south. The expedition team will recap the cruise so far and prepare you for the next three days of tropical island experiences. Spend time on deck and watch for birds and other wildlife following us on our journey.
Providencia is an unspoiled tropical island with traditions that have remained intact. You still hear English Creole spoken here. Enjoy breathtaking scenery, lovely sandy beaches, friendly locals, and a gorgeous sunset before we set sail late in the evening.
Cultural Show (45 mins)
Enjoy a 45-minute performance of music, percussion and dance presented by a 15-member troop of Providencia Island artists. Hear cultural influences from Latin America, Africa and the Antilles, and marvel at the mix of music and dance styles, including la socca, calypso, mento, foxtrot, jumping polka, shoteische and pasillo.
IncludedProvidencia - Cultural ShowEnjoy a 45-minute performance of music, percussion and dance presented by a 15-member troop of Providencia Island artists
Adventure to the PeakThis is a tour to the highest mountain of the island and a nature reserve.
Providencia – Snorkeling TourIsla de Providencia is at the heart of UNESCO's Seaflower Biosphere, which cover approximately 10 percent of the entire Caribbean. Among the features protected by the biosphere is Providencia's coral reef— 32 kilometres (20 miles) long and one of the largest reefs in the western hemisphere.
Providencia - Island TourJoin us for a guided walk and a panoramic tour of the beautiful island Providencia.
Another day in paradise awaits. Explore some of San Andrés Island’s natural attractions at your leisure or join one of the offered optional activities of the day.
Nautilus AdventureHead out on a sightseeing glass boat adventure where you'll spot tropical fish and coral
Snorkel Tour AdventureSavour the warmth of tropical waters on a snorkelling trip where you'll swim with multitudes of fish and coral.
San Andrés – Islander Cooking ClassThis tour provides unique insight into the culinary world of Colombia’s Caribbean islands and is designed for adventurous souls who are captivated by island cooking using locally sourced ingredients.
San Andrés – Taste of San AndrésSan Andrés Island is famous for its beautiful beaches, friendly people and turquoise seas, but to see the complete picture means getting first-hand insight to the history and culture with a local taxi driver guide.
The Creole inhabitants of Great Corn Island live in colorful wooden houses and earn most of their income from lobster fishing. Enjoy white sand beaches, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or hike up Mount Pleasant Hill for a view of the entire island.
We round up our extensive tropical cruise by calling on Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of cays and thousands of islets. Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the “Galápagos of the Caribbean” because it is one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walk (2 - 4 hrs)
Travel by local tender boats to one of two beaches on either Solarte Island or Bastimentos Island to relax or walk on one of many trails. Solarte Island is a nature reserve without electricity. Watch for leaf-cutter colonies, birds of all types and red frogs. You might also spot three-toed sloths, rare birds and eagles. Red Frog Beach is located on Bastimentos Island, not far from Isla Colon, and you walk to the beach on a jungle trail.
IncludedBocas del Toro - Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walkTravel by local tender boats to one of two beaches on either Solarte Island or Bastimentos Island to relax or walk on one of many trails
Bocas del Toro - Sustainable Cacao FarmGreat views and chocolate tasting with a “feel good” factor! Enjoy a short boat tour and brief hike to the beautiful and fascinating Bocas Sustainable Farm.
Bocas del Toro - Cayo ZapatillaVisit the picturesque Zapatilla Cay – the setting for numerous episodes of the “Survivor” series. Enjoy the white sand beaches and fine coral for snorkelling as we scan for exotic wildlife.
Cacao Farm & Indigenous CommunityGet a taste of life in a Ngabe village, learn about organic cacao and enjoy a delicious chocolate tasting as you support the local community.
Puerto Limón features fascinating architecture and vibrant open-air marketplaces. The central market is the place to go to buy everything from carved wood items to traditional souvenirs. After disembarkation, we transfer you to San José for your overnight stay. On the way, enjoy a fascinating excursion to Tortuguero Canal.
Today your expedition comes to an end. If you’d like to extend your stay in Costa Rica, we recommend booking one of our post-cruise Land Adventures to visit, for example, beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship in Puerto Limón to hotel in San José including lunch and an excursion
- One hotel night in San José after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA) is required
- On this trip, a vaccine for yellow fever is required. The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before your departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your expedition cruise.
For more details please see Entry Requirements
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Charleston - Beach Cleanup
Charleston - Historic Charleston and Boone Hall Plantation
Charleston – Historic Walking Tour
Charleston – Delightful Upper King Street Culinary Tour
Charleston – Fossil Hunting
Key West - Old Trolley Tour
Key West Mangrove Eco Tour
Key West – Best of Food Walking Tour and Mojito Workshop
Key West – Historic Walking Tour and Hemingway’s House
Cozumel - Orientation tour to the beach
Cozumel - All Terrain Buggy & Snorkel
Cozumel – Ruins & Mayan Traditions
Cozumel - The best of Cozumel
Cozumel - Tulum Mayan Ruins
Providencia - Cultural Show
Providencia – Snorkeling Tour
Providencia - Adventure to the Peak
Providencia - Island Tour
San Andrés – Islander Cooking Class
San Andrés – Taste of San Andrés
San Andres - Snorkel Tour Adventure
San Andres - Nautilus Adventure
Bocas del Toro - Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walk
Bocas del Toro - Cacao Farm & Indigenous Community
Bocas del Toro - Cayo Zapatilla
Bocas del Toro - Sustainable Cacao Farm
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
New York: Pre-Programme
Post-cruise Land Adventure Manuel Antonio National Park
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information for Expedition Cruises On Board MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet Our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board