Many visitors find landing at Keflavik airport enchanting. The hub seems carved out of an arctic desert, with moss-covered lava rock and haunting mountains nearby. But just 45 minutes away is Reykjavík, a charming, vibrant and modern city, offering top restaurants, interesting museums and quaint narrow streets.
The friendly town of Stykkishólmur features beautiful, well-preserved old houses and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town´s interesting museums or join optional excursions to see such iconic sites on Snæfellsnes Penninsula as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or black sand beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
IncludedStykkishólmur - Walking tour & visit to the Eider centerExplore the beautiful town of Stykkisholmur, the largest town on the northern side of the Snæfellsnes peninsula.
Hiking in the Berserk Lava FieldsJoin a guided hike through some of the most fascinating landscapes on Iceland. We visit the enormous Berserk Lava Field, formed by an ancient volcanic eruption about three to four thousand years ago.
Caves, Craters & CovesWelcome to an adventurous tour to some of the area’s best loved coastal hiking trails, together with approximately 45 minutes of cave exploration - all under the watchful eye of the famous Snæfellsjökull glacier.
Stykkishólmur - Highlights of SnæfellsnesThis tour visits many of the wonderful highlights on Snæfellsnes peninsula – an area rich in natural beauty, history and culture
Patreksfjördur is a charming settlement on the west coast of Iceland with about 660 inhabitants. The picturesque fjord offers scenic hiking trails if conditions allow. Patreksfjördur is also close to the spectacular waterfall of Dynjandi and to Látrabjarg, a renowned site for birdwatching.
IncludedPatreksfjördur - Stroll through the most western village of EuropeWe will start by a stroll through the lively harbour of the fishing village Patreksfjörður, learn about the importance of the fisheries for the village and get to know some different kinds of fish.
Patreksfjordur - Splendid CombinationAdmire the beauty and culture of the Westfjords with a scenic drive and walking tour featuring the powerful Dynjandi waterfall.
Patreksfjordur - Latrabjarg CliffWalk on Europe’s largest bird cliff, the stunning Látrabjarg, the western-most point of Europe. Enjoy the amazing world of bird life and incredible nature as well as a stop at a fascinating Folk Museum.
Our experienced captain will plan a day exploring the stunningly beautiful fjords of northwest Iceland.
Conditions will determine the final program and activity for the day. We might visit a small settlement, take you on hikes, or launch our kayaks.
Akureyri is a lively town, famous for its botanical gardens and pretty traffic lights. It is the most populous community outside Reykjavík, and the center of trade, culture and services in northern Iceland. Akureyri is close to many of Iceland’s renowned natural treasures, like Mývatn lake and Goðafoss waterfall.
IncludedAkureyri - Town Walk & Botanical GardenYou will discover the past and present of Akureyri strolling at a leisurely pace around town.
Akureyri - Off the Beaten TrackDare to venture off the beaten track! This tour offers sights not seen by the usual tours. Our 4x4 Super Jeeps offer the chance for fun and excitement as we discover some of the best of the island.
Akureyri on HorsebackDiscover and enjoy Iceland’s beautiful nature on horseback.
Mývatn Nature BathsWe visit the spectacular Godafoss falls before we take you to Mývatn Nature Baths, where you can enjoy a completely natural experience. Enjoy a relaxing dip amidst clouds of steam and a luxurious swim in a pool of geothermal water drawn from depths of up to 8,200 feet.
We will use our tender boats to reach this green and grassy island. It is probably best known for its proximity to the Arctic Circle, which cuts across the island. You get the chance to step across the boundary between the far north and south.
IncludedGrimsey Island - Arctic circle crossing ceremonyJust off the north coast of Iceland is the island of Grimsey – Iceland’s northernmost inhabited island. Covering an area of only 5,3 km², the island is small enough to easily be explored on foot.
Bakkagerdi is the main settlement in Borgarfjörður, an area known for its natural beauty and as “the land of the elves.” Puffin colonies abound in the fjord, making this a popular place for birdwatching. Bakkagerdi is off the typical tourist track, and offers peace, quiet and lovely views.
IncludedBakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visitShuttle bus between port and Hafnarhólmi puffin colony.
Heimaey, or “Home Island” physically embraces our arrival. The harbor has a very narrow entrance, formed by a famous volcanic eruption in 1973. Most of the island has steep cliffs, is well-vegetated and provides a habitat for countless birds, including the charming puffin.
IncludedHeimaey - Fun and lively walk over the lava with a localThis hiking tour is a great way to get to know the volcanic history of the island and get in touch with the beautiful nature.
Heimaey Island TourJoin a 3-hour scenic drive to the main attractions of Heimaey. Visit several stunning natural sites and learn about the volcanic eruption that took place here in 1973 at the Eldheimar Museum.
Heimaey - Boat tour of HeimaeySail around Heimaey and its landscape and wildlife from a different angle.
Our voyage of discovery and adventure ends in Reykjavik. If you have the time, we recommend you stay a few extra days to explore this unique and fascinating Nordic city.
Included in Your Expedition
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities onboard and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landingswith small expedition boats while in Iceland
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Stykkishólmur - Walking tour & visit to the Eider centre
Hiking in the Berserk Lava Field
Caves, Craters & Coves
Stykkishólmur - Highlights of Snæfellsnes
Patreksfjördur - Stroll through town
Patreksfjordur - Splendid Combination
Patreksfjordur - Latrabjarg Cliff
Akureyri - Town walk & Botanical Garden visit
Akureyri - Off the beaten tracks
Akureyri - Akureyri on Horseback
Myvatn Nature Baths
Grimsey Island - Arctic circle crossing ceremony
Bakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visit
Heimaey - Fun and lively walk over the lava with a local
Heimaey Island Tour
Heimaey - Boat tour
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
The Icelandic Highlands: Pre-Programme for Nature Lovers (20/21 and 21/22)
Reykjavik Post-cruise adventure: South Coast (20/21 and 21/22)
Reykjavik Pre-programme: Golden Circle Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Expedition Team in Iceland
- Young Explorers’ Program: Bring your kids on board