Join us as we travel the Pacific coast of Central America to experience rarely visited cities, gorgeous beaches, and the cultures of diverse local communities.
Beach life and Colonial architecture
Your expedition cruise starts in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Stroll the oceanfront promenade before embarking your hybrid electric-powered ship. The first stop is San Juan del Sur. This charming Nicaraguan town is famous for its dark sand beaches and great surfing.
Admire the beauty of the colorful Victorian-era clapboard houses before sailing to the exquisite Colonial architecture of León, Nicaragua’s former capital, via Puerto Corinto. Try typical Salvadorian food in Acajutla and sample locally grown and roasted coffee.
Chocolate City and a National Park
In Puerto Chiapas, you can choose between several optional excursions, such as the Mayan ruins at Izapa, a tasty visit to Chocolate City, or a boat tour where you can watch for exotic wildlife on nearby mangrove streams and lagoons.
Back to adventure mode! Now you’ll visit Huatulco National Park. Huatulco National Park is home to nine scenic bays, 36 pristine beaches, and rich marine life. The waters are known to host radiant reef fish, sea turtles, and maybe even dolphins. When your adventure ends in Puerto Vallarta, you’ll have a treasure trove of memories to take home with you.
Day 1Puntarenas, Costa Rica
What will it be, lobster or ceviche?
Day 2San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Southern Pacific Beaches
Day 3Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua
Leon: Artistic and Sophisticated City
Day 4Acajutla, El Salvador
A day in El Salvador
Day 5Puerto Chiapas, Mexico
A City Founded on Coffee and Cocoa
Day 6Huatulco, Mexico
Bays National Park
Day 7-8At Sea
Serenity at Sea
Day 9Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Mexican resort city
Available Promotions on This Itinerary:
Book with confidenceOur popular Book with Confidence policy is back, giving you the peace of mind you want for your next adventure exploring the world with us.The benefits of the policy apply to any new bookings made between 25 November 2021 and 31 March 2022, for expedition cruises departing on or before 30 September 2022.See Special Offer
Included in Your Expedition
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- Fine-dining À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm is included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to fill at onboard water refill stations
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and guide activities, both on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts from the Expedition Team present detailed lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- The Citizen Science program allows guests to contribute to current scientific research projects
- The onboard professional photographer will give tips and tricks for taking the best landscape and wildlife photos
- The ship has hot tubs, an infinity pool, a sauna, an outdoor and indoor gym, and an outdoor running track
- Yoga and meditation sessions with an instructor
- Participate in informal gatherings with the crew, such as daily recaps and the next day’s preparations
- Escorted landings with small boats (RIBs)
- Loan of trekking poles and all equipment needed for the activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers will help configure your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Baggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you can meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities are expected
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||528 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information for Expedition Cruises On Board MS Roald Amundsen
- Expedition Team in the Caribbean and Central America
- Young Explorers’ Program: Bring your kids on board