Central America – Central American Adventure
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
April 16, 2020
Price from: $ 4,025 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Experience the best of Latin America – six countries on one expedition cruise
- Explore stunning landscapes, balmy climates and colorful cultures
- Get close to rich biodiversity - monkeys, mangroves, humming birds and more
- Visit amazing national parks
The World Is Waiting Savings
Join one of our select itineraries in the Caribbean and Central America and save up to 40% per person! This offer is valid December 11, 2019 – February 28, 2020. Click here for full offer details.
- Day 1 Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Day 2 Guayaquil, Ecuador - Embarkation
- Day 3 At sea
- Day 4 Gorgona Island, Colombia
- Day 5 Bahía Solano, Colombia
- Day 6 Darien National Park, Panama
- Day 7 Cebaco Island, Panama
- Day 8 Golfito, Costa Rica
- Day 9 Quepos, Costa Rica
- Day 10 San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
- Day 11-12 At sea
- Day 13 Acapulco, Mexico
- Day 14-15 At sea
- Day 16 La Paz, Baja California, Mexico - Disembarkation
Guayaquil was founded in 1538 and quickly became the largest shipyard in South America, often being attacked by pirates. We recommend a stroll through the historic center, a visit of the Mercado Artesanal or a walk along the riverfront at Malecon 2000. Overnight at hotel.
After breakfast we take you on a city tour to learn more about Guayaquil and its interesting history. The tour ends at the pier where MS Roald Amundsen awaits your embarkation.
Enjoy your first day at sea! We will celebrate crossing the Equator with a special ceremony. Our expedition team will start the lecture program, introduce the cruise agenda and let you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Situated about 20 miles off the Colombian Pacific coast, we will spend a day in Gorgona Island National Park, home to 240 square miles of rich wildlife and tropical forest.
The colorful village of Bahía Solano is set in magnificent isolation. Beaches are nearby and the jungle with lush tropical flora and fauna awaits you.
Our first stop in Panama is Punta Alegre, a little town which gives us access to Darien National Park, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The tropical rain forest hosts an abundance of wildlife and remarkable plants as well as being home to three indigenous tribes, the Embara, Kuna and Wounaan.
Cebaco Island, in the Gulf of Montijo, is Panama’s third-largest island. The main settlement is El Jobo, and the island boasts beautiful beaches with breathtaking coastline offering a variety of activities.
Enjoy a day of adventure and exploration. Golfito is home to some wonderful vistas. Come ashore and relax on golden beaches for surfing and swimming. The nearby national park of Piedras Blancas offers fine walking tours through rainforest and the chance to see waterfalls, monkeys, bats and exotic birds.
IncludedGolfito - Cultural and Historical Sightseeing TourJoin us for a cultural and historical tour of Golfito, the southernmost port town in Costa Rica with a long banana plantation history
Piedras Blancas National Park ExplorationExplore the rich rainforest of Piedras Blancas National Park, home to elusive wildlife like puma and jaguars. While we are unlikely to see these shy cats, keep a sharp eye out for toucan, monkeys and scarlet macaws on this lovely tour.
Golfito - Wildlife Refuge Nature WalkDrive to the verdant and wild-life rich refuge of Golfito for a tour to discover colourful toucans, scarlet macaws and woodpeckers, as well as a chance to take in the magnificent orchids of the area.
Marine Wildlife Observation and SnorkelingThe Golfo Dulce hosts amazing wildlife and we hope to spot some of this rich diversity during a fun and relaxing tour with a naturalist guide. Discover a tropical fjord and enjoy an optional swim-snorkel afterwards.
UNESCO´s Stone Spheres World Heritage Site ExplorationDiscover the fascinating World Heritage site of Finca 6, and explore the mystery of the stones from the pre-Columbian cultures of the area who ruled Costa Rica nearly 2,000 years ago.
Costa Rica Jungle Kayak AdventureExplore with kayaks! Take a lovely paddle through an amazing mangrove estuary, spotting for ibis and egrets along the way, then pull up at a pristine beach to cool off with a refreshing swim, and watch for bottle-nosed porpoises.
Quepos is the gateway to Manuel Antonio National Park, renowned for three-toed sloths, howler, squirrel and endangered white-faced capuchin monkeys, as well as hundreds of bird species. The park boasts mangroves, lagoons, white-sand beaches, coral reefs and rainforest with hiking trails that are great for exploring.
Cultural Show (30 mins)
Folkloric Dancing is not only colorful and exciting to watch, but each dance tells it's own story. Costa Rica has a rich history with folkloric dancing, and we are happy to offer you the chance to see a performance yourself right onboard!
IncludedQuepos - Cultural ShowFolkloric Dancing is not only colorful and exciting to watch, but each dance tells it's own story
Quepos - Titi Canopy TourAn exhilarating way to experience Costa Rica’s magnificent rain forest and sight for amazing wildlife. Enjoy zip-lining with expert guides and state-of-the-art equipment in the rainforest canopy.
Quepos - Rainmaker Nature Hike and WaterfallEnjoy a river walk to take in lovely waterfalls and scout for morpho butterflies, a vast variety of birds, and amazing plant life. And perhaps end your tour with a refreshing dip in a waterfall pool.
Damas Island Estuary and Mangrove Boat TourExplore and learn about the tropical wonderland of the rare and fragile mangrove ecosystem, and delight in the amazing wildlife that surrounds our craft.
Quepos - Manuel Antonio National ParkManuel Antonio National Park is the jewel of the Costa Rican national park system. On this tour, we enjoy a guided stroll through the jungle, watching for abundant wildlife and enjoying fantastic surroundings.
Quepos Highlights and Historical ReviewsFor a unique insight into the life and culture of the Quepoa Indians, join this tour to the Quepoa territory and learn about the traditions and culture of the region from years past as well as what life is like today.
Welcome to Nicaragua and the coastal town of San Juan del Sur, known for its long sandy half-moon-shaped beach, green hills, seafood restaurants and laidback surfer lifestyle. Enjoy a relaxed day on the beach and exploring the town or join one of our excursions.
Experience Colorful Grenada & School Visit (5h30)
Experience the beauty of Nicaragua on this lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, along Lake Nicaragua and in the shadow of towering Mombacho volcano. Founded in 1524, Granada’s historic churches and convents have survived both earthquakes and invasions by English, Dutch and French pirates. Visit a local school where you can donate school supplies and enjoy some free time strolling around.
IncludedSan Juan Del Sur - Experience Colorful Grenada & School VisitExperience the beauty of Nicaragua on this lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, along Lake Nicaragua and in the shadow of towering Mombacho volcano
San Juan Del Sur – Masaya Volcano & Catarina View PointBe amazed by the still-active volcano at Masaya Volcano National Park and enjoy an amazing view of the Apoyo Lagoon at the Catarina view point.
Days at sea mean you can join the expedition team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh sea air as you scout for wildlife. Bask in the serenity of a day at sea.
Get to know the famed resort of Acapulco. The stunning landscape with wide bays, sandy beaches and green hills will fascinate you. Visit the botanical garden, the impressive 17th-century fort and of course one of the city’s many beaches.
City Tour and Cliff Divers (3h30)
Go on a scenic drive through Acapulco and pay a visit to La Quebrada, home to Acapulco’s famous cliff divers. We pass famous beaches, the city centre and many resort hotels. At La Quebrada you can watch the world famous divers leap into the Pacific. Relax and enjoy a soft drink whilst taking in the spectacle!
IncludedAcapulco - City Tour and Cliff DiversGo on a scenic drive through Acapulco and pay a visit to La Quebrada, home to Acapulco’s famous cliff divers
Acapulco Through the AgesThis tour will give you a glimpse of the history and culture of Acapulco. Admire historic architecture and learn about its first settlers through the present day.
Acapulco – Captain's Choice SnorkelEnjoy a cruise to the best snorkelling location of the day, selected by your captain and dive master.
Acapulco – Sea Turtle Release and City DriveEnjoy a scenic drive through Acapulco along the way to the Sea Turtle Rescue Centre to learn about the work they do helping endangered sea turtle species and get the chance to release a turtle into the sea.
We recap the voyage and enjoy two peaceful days at sea as we make our way north to Baja California. Enjoy the ships many facilities and spend time on deck to scout for wildlife.
In the morning, we arrive in Pichilingue, the port of La Paz on the Baja California peninsula. After disembarking, we recommend visiting La Paz’s waterfront malecón and the historic center around the Plaza Constitución. Viva Mexico!
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Guayaquil before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer from hotel to ship including a city tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- A mandatory yellow fever vaccination is required - see Entry requirements here
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Golfito - Cultural and Historical Sightseeing Tour
Golfito - Piedras Blancas National Park Exploration
Golfito - Wildlife Refuge Nature Walk
Golfito - Marine Wildlife Observation and Snorkeling
Golfito - UNESCO´s Stone Spheres World Heritage Site Exploration
Golfito - Costa Rica Jungle Kayak Adventure
Quepos - Cultural Show
Quepos - Titi Canopy Tour
Quepos - Rainmaker Nature Hike and Waterfall
Quepos - Damas Island Estuary and Mangrove Boat Tour
Quepos Highlights and Historical Reviews
San Juan Del Sur - Experience Colorful Grenada & School Visit
San Juan Del Sur – Masaya Volcano & Catarina View Point
Acapulco - City Tour and Cliff Divers
Acapulco – Acapulco Through the Ages
Acapulco – Captain's Choice Snorkel
Acapulco – Sea Turtle Release and City Drive
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
Pre-cruise Land Adventure Machu Picchu
Pre-cruise Land Adventure Galápagos Islands
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information for Expedition Cruises On Board MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet Our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Program: Bring your kids on board