Nidaros Cathedral & Ringve Museum
Admire the majestic Nidaros Cathedral, the only church in Norway built in the Gothic architectural style. Then, journey through music history at Ringve Museum.
- See and learn more about the city of Trondheim
- Visit beautiful Nidaros Cathedral, Norway’s national shrine*
- Explore Ringve Museum and learn about Norwegian music history
- Admire the museum’s botanical gardens
Level 2: Moderate - some mobility needed
Photography is not allowed inside Nidaros Cathedral or the Ringve Museum.
Inhabited since the Viking ages, Trondheim is full of culture and fascinating history. Today, we’ll explore two attractions in this ancient city. First, we’ll visit Nidaros Cathedral, Norway’s national shrine. This cathedral was built over the burial place of Norway’s patron saint, St. Olav, and features incredible Gothic-style architecture and exquisite works of art. After a guided tour of the cathedral, spend some free time exploring the area.
The bus then takes you to the Ringve Museum of Musical History, where your enthusiastic tour guide will bring Norway’s musical history to life. Surrounded by a gorgeous botanical garden, this stately manor house was the childhood home of 18th-century Norwegian naval hero Peter Wessel Tordenskiold. He distinguished himself during the Great Northern War between Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. The museum is conveniently located just outside Trondheim and is an ideal spot to enjoy views of both the city and the fjord.
- Disembarking port: Trondheim
- Embarking port: Trondheim
- Available: April 3–September 2
- Transport: Bus
- Clothes: Ringve Museum has many stairs, so wear comfortable shoes
- *If you are visiting on Sundays and bank holidays, the guiding will take place outside the cathedral and in the Archbishop’s Palace, as church services take place inside the cathedral