Mountain Hike in Hammerfest
Enjoy an exhilarating hike up Mount Salen, passing through Hammerfest’s only forest on your way up to the peak for panoramic views.
- Take a guided mountain hike starting from one of the northernmost towns in the world.
- See Hammerfest’s distinctive parish church on your way out of town.
- Follow the ‘Old Way’ hiking path through the only forest in Hammerfest.
- Get a magnificent view of the area and outlying islands from the mountain’s peak
Level 4: Challenging - good mobility and fitness needed
1 hour, 30 min
We recommend bringing a backpack with a water bottle, extra clothing, a camera, and sunglasses.
Take a guided hike up Mount Salen, a mountain that rises above one of the world’s northernmost towns, Hammerfest. As we make our way out of town to the base of the mountain, we’ll pass the distinctive parish church.
To get to the top of the mountain, we’ll take ‘Gammelveien’ (‘Old Way’), a hiking path that winds around the mountain. In the past, this was the only way to get into town. On our way up, the path will take us beneath the canopy of Hammerfest’s only forest, Jansvannskogen.
Reaching the mountain’s peak requires a good level of fitness, but the panoramas from the viewpoint are certainly worth the effort. On a clear day, you can enjoy incredible views of the islands Melkøya, Sørøya, and Seiland down below. Once you’ve taken in the scenery, we’ll take a zigzag trail back to the town center for a well-earned rest.
- Disembarking port: Hammerfest
- Embarking Port: Hammerfest
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 10:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Available period: June 8 – November 7
- Meals on the trip: Warm drink and snack
- Clothes/Footwear: Hiking shoes, warm and windproof clothing
- Note: Recommended equipment includes a backpack with a water bottle, extra clothing, a camera, and sunglasses. The guide will bring the necessary safety equipment. Participants should be in good general health
- Age limit: minimum 16 years old, with a parent