Trondheim is a large city by Norwegian standards, but it has managed to preserve much of the intimacy and charm of a small town. It is also a city full of contrasts, with its medieval cathedral, colorful wharfs, and beautiful, red-painted wooden bridge dating back to 1861 on one hand; and its modern sports facilities, world-renowned educational and research community, and lively nightlife on the other. A local guide tells you all about Trondheim on a bus tour through its streets and boroughs, including a short stop at Utsikten (the View) to admire the city from above.
Your adventure continues to the impressive Nidaros Cathedral, built over the burial site of St. Olav, the patron saint of Norway. Construction of this enormous Gothic structure – with its countless details and adornments – began as early as 1070. You quickly see why many consider Nidaros Cathedral the most beautiful religious building in Norway*. At the end of the tour, you receive a complimentary book about Nidaros Cathedral to take home with you.
- Disembarking port: Trondheim
- Embarking port: Trondheim
- Direction: Northbound/Southbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Available from: September 3 – April 2
- Duration: 2 hours
- Level: 1
- Transportation: Bus
- Clothes/Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes
- Photography is not allowed inside Nidaros Cathedral
- This excursion is available on both northbound and southbound sailings
- Note: Not available on December 24
*Guided tours outside the cathedral and in the museum Sundays and public holidays due to church services.