Your trip starts with an evening flight from Oslo. If time allows, enjoy the museums, parks and trendy cafés of the Norwegian capital before your flight to Longyearbyen in the Svalbard Archipelago. Transfer to and overnight at your hotel.
Join an excursion after lunch to explore Svalbard’s capital, nestled next to the Isfjord and surrounded by rugged mountains. You’ll find Longyearbyen a surprisingly modern settlement, with a small and welcoming international community running cafés, bars, restaurants, artisanal shops, and even a chocolatier and a micro-brewery. Board your ship in the afternoon.
Summertime in the Svalbard Archipelago is when polar bears trek along the coast’s drifting ice on the hunt for seals. With a bit of luck, we hope to spot one or more of these top predators in the national park.
Depending on the movement and thickness of the sea ice, we might visit Kongsfjord´s mighty glaciers and catch sight of icebergs calving into the sea. We also plan to call on Ny-Ålesund, a former mining town now transformed into an international science center. Here, you’ll find 16 permanent research stations from 10 countries dedicated to the study of glaciology, wildlife, and climate change.
Enjoy a relaxing day at sea with onboard lectures while we set course towards Jan Mayen. Our Expedition Team will hold talks and workshops and share their knowledge and experience.
The Norwegian island of Jan Mayen has two main areas. The north is dominated by ice-capped Beerenberg, the northernmost active volcano on Earth. The south is flatter and unglaciated, and where 30 people live at a weather station. The island is a breeding site for large numbers of seabirds such as fulmars, auks, and guillemots.
Visits to Jan Mayen are extremely rare, and Hurtigruten is one of the few to attempt landings on this Arctic island.
Days at sea are an opportunity to wind down and watch the waves or enjoy a lecture or two from the Expedition Team.
Welcome to Iceland’s largest community outside of Reykjavík. Expect comfy cafés, restaurants, and chic art galleries. There are also various museums of interest, distinct churches, and botanical gardens, which will be in full bloom at the time of your visit. Akureyri is also close to natural treasures, such as Lake Mývatn and the Goðafoss waterfall.
IncludedAkureyri - Town Walk & Botanical GardenYou will discover the past and present of Akureyri strolling at a leisurely pace around town.
Akureyri - Off the Beaten TrackDare to venture off the beaten track! This tour offers sights not seen by the usual tours. Our 4x4 Super Jeeps offer the chance for fun and excitement as we discover some of the best of the island.
Akureyri on HorsebackDiscover and enjoy Iceland’s beautiful nature on horseback.
Mývatn Nature BathsWe visit the spectacular Godafoss falls before we take you to Mývatn Nature Baths, where you can enjoy a completely natural experience. Enjoy a relaxing dip amidst clouds of steam and a luxurious swim in a pool of geothermal water drawn from depths of up to 8,200 feet.
Húsavík is Iceland’s oldest Norse settlement and considered one of the best whale-watching spots in Europe. Up to 23 species of whale, including the blue whale, are known to visit nearby Skjálfandi Bay. The town also has many interesting museums and an outdoor thermal hot spring on the picturesque peninsula.
IncludedHusavik - Whale museum visitWe take the short walk to the whale museum where we have the opportunity to learn about the fascinating gentle giants of the ocean.
Whales & PuffinsHow could the Húsavík Original Whale Watching tour possibly get better? Of course by sailing around Puffin Island, the home of thousands of puffins.
Husavik - Diamond CircleExplore the fantastic and surreal beauty of Iceland on this tour to The Whispering Cliffs, the canyon of Asbyrgi, and the powerful Dettifoss waterfall on a unforgettable guided tour.
Bakkagerði is one of Iceland’s smallest hamlets, a quiet haven well off the tourist track. The place is well-known for its fairy-tale-like natural beauty, and the locals have come to call the region `The Land of the Elves.´ Many puffin colonies also line the nearby fjord, making it a popular place for birdwatching.
IncludedBakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visitShuttle bus between port and Hafnarhólmi puffin colony.
The day is at your leisure aboard the ship. Relax while gazing out at the view, learn more from the knowledgeable Expedition Team in our lecture series, or swap experiences of the expedition so far with your fellow explorers.
Located in the Funningsfjørður inlet in the Faroe Islands, the village of Elduvík lies by the shore at the end of a long, lush valley surrounded by stunning green mountains and with the river Stórá running through the middle. Just 23 people inhabit the village, complete with a school, church, dock, pier, and colorful houses.
Built on the herring trade in the 17th century, Lerwick northernmost town is home to a third of the Shetland Islands' population.Visit local boutique shops along Commercial Street, wander along the waterfront with its sandstone buildings, or visit the museum to learn more about the town’s Norse heritage.
Your journey ends in the bustling port city of Bergen. We recommend booking a Post-program to extend your stay here to explore Bergen´s famous fish market and its UNESCO-listed Bryggen wharf of colorful wooden warehouses. You can also board a funicular up to Mount Fløyen for views over city, the fjord, and the surrounding mountains.
Included in Your Expedition
- Flight in coach class from Oslo to Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise
- Overnight in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with very limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with current scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna and indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small explorer boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
|Length||100.54 m/ 330 ft|
|Beam||18.0 m/ 59 ft|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Akureyri - Town walk & Botanical Garden visit
Akureyri - Off the beaten tracks
Akureyri - Akureyri on Horseback
Myvatn Nature Baths
Husavik - Whale museum visit
Husavik - Whales and puffins
Husavik - Diamond Circle
Bakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visit
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.