Join us as we attempt a full circumnavigation of the Svalbard Archipelago, and discover mighty glaciers, peaceful fjords, and Arctic wildlife.
Last frontier before the North Pole
Your expedition starts in Longyearbyen, the town on top of the world. There are lots of ways to spend some time in the world's northernmost town. From here, we embark on our epic circumnavigation of the Svalbard Archipelago, starting with North West Spitsbergen National Park. Explore picturesque fjords, steep mountains, and beautiful offshore islands while scanning the landscape for wildlife.
Be aware that most places in Svalbard do not have mobile phone coverage. Take advantage of this opportunity for a digital detox and enjoy being in the moment amid the serenity of this wondrous archipelago!
Looking out for bears and birds
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears in the archipelago. Over our three-day exploration of Spitsbergen’s eastern seaboard, we’ll be on the lookout for these iconic-but-shy predators. The cliffs in this region attract huge numbers of birds, with Svalbard being home to a wide variety including thousands of Brünnich’s guillemots, gulls and kittiwakes.
Prepare to explore the majestic landscape and geology of Hornsund. The rugged mountains and breathtaking fjords here make for some of Svalbard’s most scenic panoramas. After exploring this area, we’ll sail north toward Bellsund and the Isfjord before ending our expedition cruise in Longyearbyen.
Our circumnavigation attempts of the remote Svalbard Archipelago are expeditions where we, in true expedition style, challenge the elements and the ice edge of the Arctic Ocean—safely, of course. Several alternative routes combined with our deep knowledge of the area and flexibility are key factors to giving you the most amazing experiences. And if we really manage to circumnavigate Svalbard, it will be one for the books!
Day 1Oslo/Longyearbyen - Hotel
From 59º N to 78º N
The Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic
Day 3-5North West Spitsbergen National Park
Explore amazing fjords with a fascinating history
Day 6-8Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Expedition days in the Arctic
Day 9-10South Spitsbergen National Park and the area of Bellsund
The Expedition Continues
Day 11The Isfjord
End of the Expedition
Available Promotions on This Itinerary:
Save up to 15% + $500 Air CreditBook an expedition cruise aboard the world’s first hybrid electric-powered expedition ship or any of our other ships to destinations, and you’ll save up to 20% as well as receive up to a $1,000 air credit per person!See Special Offer
Book with confidenceOur popular Book with Confidence policy is back, giving you the peace of mind you want for your next adventure exploring the world with us.The benefits of the policy apply to any new bookings made between 16 February 2022 and 30 June 2022, for expedition cruises departing on or before 31 December 2022.See Special Offer
Kids Save up to 50%Young Explorers Save up to 50% offSee Special Offer
New SeasonLife changing experiences start here. Discover our new itineraries for 2023 and 2024.See Special Offer
Included in Your Expedition
- Flights in economy class between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- Overnight in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen include an excursion before the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in the cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- The Lindstrøm À la carte restaurant is included for suite guests (on MS Fram only)
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Please note that Wi-Fi and phone reception are very limited in the remote areas where we travel and streaming is not supported. When in Svalbard, there is no Wi-Fi or cell coverage, except in Longyearbyen or Barentsburg.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to fill at onboard water refill stations
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and guide activities, both on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts from the Expedition Team present detailed lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- The Citizen Science program allows guests to contribute to current scientific research projects
- The onboard professional photographer will give tips and tricks for taking the best landscape and wildlife photos
- The ship has hot tubs, a sauna with a view, and an indoor gym
- Participate in informal gatherings with the crew, such as daily recaps and the next day’s preparations
- Escorted landings with small boats (RIBs)
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment needed for the activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers help configure your camera settings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Baggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you can meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities are expected
|Year of refurbishment||2022|
|Passenger capacity||250 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11,647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. The advanced technology on the MS Fram, in the spirit of the famous original, makes her exceptionally well suited for expedition cruises in polar regions.
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
MS Spitsbergen will take you on a cruise beyond the ordinary. She cruises along the Norwegian coast from September to May and becomes part of our Global Expedition sailings the rest of the year.