Estimated time of departure is 6:00 PM
Explore Bergen´s historic harbor area with its fish market and UNESCO-listed Bryggen wharf of colorful wooden warehouses that date back to the 1300s. You can also board a funicular up nearby Mount Fløyen. There, you’ll enjoy views over Bergen, and maybe even spot your ship docked below.
Built on the herring trade in the 17th century, Lerwick is Scotland’s northernmost town and home to a third of the Shetland Islands' population.
Visit local boutique shops along Commercial Street, wander along the waterfront with its sandstone buildings, or visit the museum to learn more about the town’s Norse heritage.
Located in the Funningsfjørður inlet in the Faroe Islands, the village of Elduvík lies by the shore at the end of a long, lush valley surrounded by stunning green mountains and with the river Stórá running through the middle of the village. Just 23 people inhabit the village, complete with a school, church, dock, pier, and colorful houses.
Enjoy a relaxing day at sea with onboard lectures from the Expedition Team while we set course toward Iceland.
Bakkagerði is one of Iceland’s smallest hamlets, a quiet haven well off the tourist track. The place is so well-known for its fairy-tale-like natural beauty, the locals have come to call the region `The Land of the Elves.´ Many puffin colonies also line the nearby fjord, making it a popular place for birdwatching.
IncludedBakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visitShuttle bus between port and Hafnarhólmi puffin colony.
Húsavík is Iceland’s oldest Norse settlement and considered one of the best whale-watching spots in Europe. Up to 23 species of whale, including the blue whale, are known to visit nearby Skjálfandi Bay. The town also has many interesting museums and an outdoor thermal bath on the picturesque peninsula.
IncludedHusavik - Whale museum visitWe take the short walk to the whale museum where we have the opportunity to learn about the fascinating gentle giants of the ocean.
Husavik - Diamond CircleExplore the fantastic and surreal beauty of Iceland on this tour to The Whispering Cliffs, the canyon of Asbyrgi, and the powerful Dettifoss waterfall on a unforgettable guided tour.
Whales & PuffinsHow could the Húsavík Original Whale Watching tour possibly get better? Of course by sailing around Puffin Island, the home of thousands of puffins.
Welcome to Iceland’s largest community outside of Reykjavík. Expect comfy cafés, restaurants, and chic art galleries. There are also various museums of interest, distinct churches, and the botanical gardens, which will be in full bloom at the time of your visit. Akureyri is also close to natural treasures, such as Lake Mývatn and the Goðafoss waterfall.
IncludedAkureyri - Town Walk & Botanical GardenYou will discover the past and present of Akureyri strolling at a leisurely pace around town.
Akureyri - Off the Beaten TrackDare to venture off the beaten track! This tour offers sights not seen by the usual tours. Our 4x4 Super Jeeps offer the chance for fun and excitement as we discover some of the best of the island.
Akureyri on HorsebackDiscover and enjoy Iceland’s beautiful nature on horseback.
Mývatn Nature BathsWe visit the spectacular Godafoss falls before we take you to Mývatn Nature Baths, where you can enjoy a completely natural experience. Enjoy a relaxing dip amidst clouds of steam and a luxurious swim in a pool of geothermal water drawn from depths of up to 8,200 feet.
Days at sea are an opportunity to wind down and watch the waves, or enjoy a lecture or two from the Expedition Team.
The Norwegian island of Jan Mayen has two main areas. The north is dominated by ice-capped Beerenberg, the northernmost active volcano on earth. The south is flatter and unglaciated, and where 30 people live at a weather station. The island is a breeding site for large numbers of seabirds such as fulmars, auks, and guillemots.
Visits to Jan Mayen are extremely rare, and Hurtigruten is one of the few to attempt landings on this Arctic island.
The day is at your leisure aboard the ship. Relax while gazing out at the view, learn more from the knowledgeable Expedition Team in our lecture series, or swap experiences of the expedition so far with your fellow explorers.
Summertime in the Svalbard Archipelago is when polar bears trek along the coast’s drifting ice on the hunt for seals. With a bit of luck, we hope to spot one or more of these top predators in the national park.
Depending on the movement and thickness of the sea ice, we might visit Kongsfjord´s mighty glaciers and catch sight of icebergs calving into the sea. We also plan to call on Ny-Ålesund, a former mining town now transformed into an international science center. Here, you’ll find 16 permanent research stations from 10 countries dedicated to the study of glaciology, wildlife, and climate change.
Estimated time of arrival is 12:05 AM
Your journey ends in lively Longyearbyen, the capital of Svalbard situated next to a fjord and surrounded by rugged mountains as far as the eye can see. It is a surprisingly modern and cosmopolitan settlement with a small and welcoming international community. Transfer from the ship to the airport for your flight to Oslo.
Included in Your Expedition
- Transfer from the ship to the airport in Longyearbyen after the expedition cruise
- Flights in coach class from Longyearbyen to Oslo after the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with very limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with current scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna and indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small explorer boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
|Length||100.54 m/ 330 ft|
|Beam||18.0 m/ 59 ft|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Length||114 m / 374 ft|
|Beam||20.2 m / 66 ft|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology and making her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in polar regions.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Bakkagerdi - Puffin Colony visit
Husavik - Whale museum visit
Husavik - Diamond Circle
Husavik - Whales and puffins
Akureyri - Town walk & Botanical Garden visit
Akureyri - Off the beaten tracks
Akureyri - Akureyri on Horseback
Myvatn Nature Baths
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.