Join us on a one-way winter expedition as we hunt for the Northern Lights along the landscapes of the Norwegian coast, where we will explore fjords, towns, and cities.
Sailing north from Dover
Your first stop in Norway will be Bergen, where the Fløibanen funicular will take you to a viewpoint over 1,000 feet above sea level for wonderful view of the city. Don’t miss the UNESCO-listed Bryggen district with its colorful wooden wharfs.
We then continue on to the Sognefjord, the longest and deepest fjord in Norway. Here you will visit the tiny hamlet of Fjærland, here, not far from the largest glacier on the European continent: Jostedalsbreen. Next is the breathtaking Hjørundfjord, surrounded by the Sunnmøre Alps, with peaks that tower 5,500 feet high, seemingly straight out of the sea.
Polar Nights and Northern Lights
The daylight hours shorten once we cross the Arctic Circle, replaced by a dim blue twilight that makes the snowy scenery of the coast even more magical. Explore the Lofoten Archipelago and the town of Svolvær, with granite mountains’ impressive and jagged peaks looming as a dramatic backdrop. Next up, you’ll visit the war museum in Narvik to understand the central role this town played during World War II.
After discovering the beauty of Vesterålen, your expedition cruise ends in Tromsø, known as ‘Paris of the North’ for its cosmopolitan vibe and as the ‘Gateway to the Arctic’ for its long history of polar exploration.
Day 1Dover, U.K.
Setting course for Tromsø
Day 2At sea
Day 3Bergen, Norway
The City of Seven Mountains
Day 4Fjærland, Norway
The longest fjord in Norway
Day 5Hjørundfjord, Norway (Urke or Sæbø)
Exceptional natural beauty
Day 6Trøndelag, Norway
‘Kos’ and ‘frilufsliv’ combined
Day 7Svolvær, Norway
The enchanting Lofoten Islands
Day 8-9Narvik, Norway
The Battle of Narvik
Day 10Risøyhamn/Sortland, Norway
A hiker’s paradise
Day 11Tromsø, Norway
The end of an adventure
Available Promotions on This Itinerary:
Early bookings: $150 onboard credit + save 20%Save up to 30% on our newly launched cruises in 2022 and 2023, plus receive $150 in on board credit per person! Limited time only.See Offer for Details
Included in Your Expedition
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- Fine-dining À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm is included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to fill at onboard water refill stations
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and guide activities, both on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts from the Expedition Team present detailed lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- The Citizen Science program allows guests to contribute to current scientific research
- The onboard professional photographer will give tips and tricks for taking the best landscape and wildlife photos
- The ship has hot tubs, a panoramic sauna, and outdoor and indoor gyms
- Participate in informal gatherings with the crew, such as daily recaps and the next day’s preparations
- Escorted landings with small boats (RIBs)
- Trekking poles and head lamps available, if necessary
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers will help configure your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Baggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you can meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities are expected
Photo: Håvard Myklebust /fjellfotografen.net, Shutterstock and Ørjan Bertelsen
|Year of refurbishment||2021|
|Shipyard||Fosen Mek. Verk. (N)|
MS Maud is designed for maximum comfort, and equipped for sustainable and memorable expedition cruises.