Discover the rich history and cultural heritage of Europe’s Atlantic coast as we sail from Amsterdam to Lisbon.
Ancient abbeys, medieval masterpieces, and D-Day battle sites
Setting sail from Amsterdam, take a deep dive into Europe’s fascinating history. Explore Dover, the strategic gateway to England, and marvel at the sprawling castle built atop the famed white cliffs. Then sail to Normandy and walk a beach where the Allied troops landed on D-Day. Then we visit Caen, the medieval town where William the Conqueror left his indelible mark.
In Brittany, stroll through the incredible walled city of Saint-Malo, built by the ancient Gauls and a home for pirates for centuries. Then it’s down through the Bay of Biscay to the rugged northern coast of Spain, looking out for marine wildlife along the way. In Galicia, see the world’s oldest still-functioning extant lighthouse, the Tower of Hercules. Then seek out Celtic links to the past in A Coruña.
Culture, cuisine, and cruising
Get lost in the charming maze of streets around Vigo’s Old Town. When hunger strikes, its many bars and restaurants won’t disappoint. Sample exquisite local Gallego cuisine and savor authentic tapas with your Galician cider. Our cruise of discovery comes to an end in culture-laden Lisbon, the jewel in Portugal’s crown.
Our experienced and knowledgeable Expedition Team is on hand to ensure you have the best possible experience on your cruise. Aboard the comfortable MS Spitsbergen, they host informative lectures about our destinations.
Day 1Amsterdam, Netherlands
The city where land meets sea
Day 2Dover, United Kingdom
Iconic white cliffs and medieval fortifications
Day 3Ouistreham, France
Steeped in history and medieval charm
Day 4Saint-Malo, France
Citadel by the sea
Day 5At sea
Sailing the Bay of Biscay
Day 6A Coruña, Spain
Guided by the light of Hercules
Day 7La Coruña, Spain
Gateway to Galicia
Day 8Vigo, Spain
Day 9Porto, Portugal
The city of port wine
Day 10Lisbon, Portugal
Day 11Lisbon, Portugal
Farewell in Lisbon
Available Promotions on This Itinerary:
Come Together—Save up to $ 1,000The moment you choose your destination, a grand adventure begins. It’s finally time to come together; grab your family and friends and set sail on an expedition cruise. Wherever you choose, there are memories to be made.See Special Offer
Included in Your Expedition
- Expedition cruise in the cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in our Aune restaurant
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to fill at onboard water refill stations
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and guide activities, both on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts from the Expedition Team present detailed lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- The Citizen Science program allows guests to contribute to current scientific research projects
- The onboard professional photographer will give tips and tricks for taking the best landscape and wildlife photos
- The ship has hot tubs, a sauna with a view, and an indoor gym
- Participate in informal gatherings with the crew, such as daily recaps and the next day’s preparations
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers will help configure your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- Air travel
- Travel protection
- Baggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and, if applicable, ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you can meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities are expected
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
MS Spitsbergen will take you on a cruise beyond the ordinary. She cruises along the Norwegian coast from September to May and becomes part of our Global Expedition sailings the rest of the year.