Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean Fjords – Exploration of Antarctica, Chilean Fjords and Patagonia
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Fram
October 24, 2020
Price from: $ 11,736 per personCheck prices and availability Request a quote
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and optional activities in Antarctica
- Experience both Patagonia and Antarctica in one expedition cruise
- Take the opportunity to visit Torres del Paine National Park
- Sail into the Chilean fjords and see Cape Horn
Save up to 25% on this itinerary!
Book this offer online or by contacting one of our Personal Expedition Advisors at 8665520371. You may also Request a Quote.
Please note, all prices displayed are inclusive of 25% savings. See offer details.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast, the expedition team will start their lecture program to prepare you for experiences ahead. Make sure to spend some time on deck to watch for wildlife.
Located on Isla Grande de Chiloé, Castro is set among windswept hills and is known for its colorful “palafitos,” wooden houses mounted on stilts. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site, Iglesia San Francisco, and spot dozens of seabird species, as well as penguins and sea lions.
We sail south through Patagonia to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places: the southern province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. We voyage through iconic Andean seascapes and you have plenty of time to gaze out on the glorious expanse of undisturbed nature.
The isolated village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you, set at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by high mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar tribe.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to world-renowned Torres del Paine National Park, named for the famed rock formations of Torre Centro, Sur and Norte. Explore the park on our optional excursion and get a taste of stunning geographic variety, from vast open steppes to rugged mountain terrain and looming peaks.
Keep an eye out for llamas, pumas, and chilla foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
This area’s natural beauty features deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into icy waters in a landscape seemingly untouched by humans. Bask in beautiful stillness as we cruise past isolated islands and hidden bays that form the unique natural gem of the Chilean landscape.
In the morning, we sail through Beagle Channel, named after the ship that carried Charles Darwin on his voyage of discovery – HMS Beagle. If conditions allow, we attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America. Going ashore can be very difficult because of the occasional extreme weather in this area.
Next, we cross Drake Passage, where two oceans meet, on our way to the most remote continent on Earth. On our way, you can learn a great deal about Antarctica’s fantastic wildlife and history from our expedition team.
This is a wilderness full of overwhelming impressions on an impressive scale. Our expert captain and crew will work with the elements to create an itinerary designed to maximize your experience of Antarctica’s amazing landscapes and wildlife observed from unobtrusive distances.
At every opportunity, our expedition team will take you out for landings or ice-cruising to get close and truly explore Antarctic beauty, while careful not to disturb the wildlife.
You may also have the chance to kayak in pristine waters with icebergs floating by, take guided hikes to spectacular viewing points, or even spend the night in a tent. Every day will be different, and each carefully crafted by our expedition team to create lasting memories.
After five unforgettable days in Antarctica, MS Fram takes us safely back across the famous Drake Passage. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 600 miles or 40 hours sailing time in good weather. During the voyage north, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Ushuaia, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with your flight to Buenos Aires, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional Land Adventure excursions.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer in Ushuaia from ship to airport
- Coach-class flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that help you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- A farewell event
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- +All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry Requirements for your travel.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Length||114 m / 374 ft|
|Beam||20.2 m / 66 ft|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology and making her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in polar regions.
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information for Explorer Voyages with MS Fram
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing Sites in Antarctica