beautiful fjords of Chile. Join us on a fantastic adventure to explore the great white continent with ice-cruising, landings and other exciting activities, followed by a voyage of discovery to the remote and spectacular Chilean coast.
- Day 1 Buenos Aires
- Day 2 Buenos Aires/Ushuaia - Flight & Embarkation
- Day 3 Drake Passage
- Day 4-8 Antarctica
- Day 9-10 At sea
- Day 11 At sea
- Day 12 Chilean Fjords
- Day 13-14 Puerto Natales - Overnight stay - 2 full days
- Day 15 Puerto Edén
- Day 16 At sea
- Day 17 Castro
- Day 18-19 At sea
- Day 20 Valparaíso, Chile - Disembarkation
Your expedition starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. We offer an optional city tour. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover the “Paris of South America” for yourself.
The following day, you fly to Ushuaia. The flight leaves Buenos Aires early in the morning, allowing you a few hours to explore Ushuaia or to join an optional excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park, before embarking on MS Fram. In the evening, we will sail through scenic Beagle Channel.
MS Fram takes us safely across the famous Drake Passage. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 600 miles or 40 hours sailing time in good weather. During the voyage south, the expedition team will prepare you for your exploration through a series of informative lectures and demonstrations.
This pure wilderness is full of overwhelming impressions. The elements rule here, so your expedition team works with the conditions to select the best possible landing sites to create unforgettable experiences on the South Shetlands and Antarctic Peninsula. Flexibility allows us to take advantage of the unexpected, and wildlife will be at the forefront of our plans.
At every opportunity, our expedition team will take you out for landings or ice cruising to get close and truly explore Antarctic beauty, while ensuring not to disturb the wildlife.
Our activities offer you the chance to experience Antarctica with all your senses as we sail remote waters with icebergs floating by, hike up snowy pathways to spectacular views, and listen to the sounds of glaciers calving or penguins squabbling. Every day will be different, and each is carefully designed to create lasting memories.
Sailing northbound across Drake Passage is the chance to re-cap all we have seen and heard in Antarctica. The expedition team will continue their lecture program to prepare you for the delights ahead. Enjoy priming your knowledge about the history and ecosystems of the area. Make sure to spend some time on deck to enjoy the fresh sea air and watch for wildlife.
We will attempt a landing on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America. Going ashore can be very difficult because of weather in this area. This is the southernmost point of South America, marking the boundary between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Next, we will sail on to the sheltered waters of Beagle Channel.
The glacier-created Chilean fjords are a true highlight, with their deep channels, placid fjords and mountains plunging into icy waters. The snow-capped mountains and steep valleys make a striking contrast to an otherwise lush coastal plain that is rich in wildlife.
The impressive “Torres del Paine” (Towers of Paine) rock formation give the park its name. The peaks, Torre Central, Sur and Norte, create spectacular vistas. Explore the nature sanctuary on our optional excursion.
Torres del Paine hosts stunning variety, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountain terrain. The park is home to a wide variety of a fauna and flora - watch for llamas, pumas and foxes, in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
Scenes of Puerto Natales (3 hrs)
Explore the small city of Puerto Natales and its scenic surroundings. Visit Plaza de Armas, a tree-lined square in the town centre, and then go to a large cave where the bones of a prehistoric ground sloth called a Milodón were found in 1896. The cave attracts many visitors and features a historical display of the tribes who inhabited the area as far back as 12,000 years ago.
IncludedPuerto Natales - Scenes of Puerto NatalesThis excursion combines the highlights of the charming town of Puerto Natales with the interesting Milodón Cave, just a few kilometres away.
Torres del Paine - OvernightThis Land Adventure includes an overnight inside the park - “the eighth wonder of the world” - with its impressive scenery and incomparable views. The Torres del Paine National Park covers an area over 598,000 acres and features a rich geographical diversity of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills and peaks. There is always the possibility of seeing varieties of native wildlife in their natural habitat.
Puerto Natales: Torres del Paine National ParkVisit Torres del Paine National Park with stunning scenery and amazing views! Admire the natural beauty of this area, which offers great photo opportunities.
Torres del Paine – Grey HikeSpectacular views abound in every direction. Torres del Paine National Park covers an area of 242.242 hectares and features an outstanding combination of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills, and peaks, as well as the possibility to observe various kinds of wildlife in their natural habitat.
Puerto Natales - Hiking in Torres del PaineThis programme is designed to give you the best of both worlds. Explore Torres del Paine by both coach and foot. The eighth wonder of the world, Torres del Paine National Park, covers an area over 242.000 hectares and consists of a rich combination of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills and peaks. It is possible to observe many different forms of life here in their natural state.
The village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. This deeply isolated community is situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar tribe.
Your expedition cruise continues south to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places, the southern province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. This is an iconic Andean seascape of amazing beauty.
Castro is set among windswept hills and lush vegetation. The city is known for its colorful “palafitos,” wooden houses mounted on stilts along the water's edge. While here, visit the UNESCO World Heritage site, Iglesia de San Francisco.
Castro Walking Tour (2 hrs)
Explore landmarks and cultural sights on a city walk through Castro, the capital of Chile’s Chiloé Island. Castro is famous for its ornate church, Iglesia de San Francisco, and the nearby districts of Rilán, Nercón and Chelín are known for their unique wooden churches, designated UNESCO World Heritage sites. Castro and Chiloé are also famous for palafitos, traditional wooden stilt houses.
IncludedCastro Walking TourWalk from pier to Plaza de Armas for a short visit and proceed to San Francisco church, the main Catholic church of Chiloé’s capital and rather than the typical style of the other churches of the island, it is Neo-Gothic style.
Castro – Dalcahue, Curaco de Velez & AchaoThis land adventure provides a glimpse into the history of these small villages in the Castro-Delahue area. We will visit three towns by coach and ferry.
Trek at Chiloe National parkTrek through Chiloe National Park, where hiking trails take you to a great viewpoint with views over Cucao Lake and the Pacific Ocean. Learn about local flora and fauna and the history of the primitive settlements. We will also drive by the village of Cucao and hear about the tsunami that this town suffered in 1960.
Heading towards Valparaíso, you have the chance to relax and enjoy the deep relaxation of a day at sea. The expedition team will entertain you with stories of the area, help you to plan your next exploration or show you an interesting creature or two under the microscope in our Science Center.
This remarkable expedition cruise ends in the colorful and poetic port of Valparaíso. One of the best ways to see this scenic city is to climb the hills aboard a funicular, which provides sweeping views. We recommend extending your trip by adding an optional post-cruise Land Adventure to the amazing Atacama Desert.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage, including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Coach-class flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfer in Ushuaia, incl. an orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Destination-focused onboard library
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Length||114 m / 374 ft|
|Beam||20.2 m / 66 ft|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology and making her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in polar regions.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Puerto Natales - Scenes of Puerto Natales Included
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine - Overnight
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine National Park
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine – Grey Hike
Puerto Natales - Hiking in Torres del Paine
Castro Walking Tour
Castro – Dalcahue, Curaco de Velez & Achao
Castro - Trek at Chiloe National park
Extend Your Cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-Program before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Pre-cruise Land Adventure Wild Patagonia 20/21
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires – Estancia Santa Susana
Ushuaia - Pre-excursion: Tierra del Fuego National Park
Santiago de Chile - Post-programme Easter Island 20/21
Valparaiso & Santiago: Post-programme
Santiago Post-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour
Santiago - Post-Excursion: Typical Chilean Dinner & Music
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information for Expedition Cruises On Board MS Fram
- Meet Our Expedition Team
- Landing Sites in Antarctica